GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Contemplating first wagon purchase

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sagekat

Contemplating first wagon purchase Empty
PostSubject: Contemplating first wagon purchase   Contemplating first wagon purchase Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 4:53 pm

I'm vacillating between buying a wagon or a suburban. I've owned a suburban before and grew up driving one. But my grandparents had a station wagon, and us grandkids always thought it was the coolest! I have four boys ages 12-17 and they are all about the 90's Buick Roadmasters we've seen in the local ads. They are already scrapping over who gets to sit in the back seat and we haven't even looked at one in person yet.

I'm not looking to completely restore a vehicle, nor am I hoping for a show quality vehicle. But I like the idea of a car with at least some collectorish value so I'm not left with a $200 scrap yard piece when I'm ready for something else. Plus a vehicle with an active forum of passionate enthusiasts is always part of my criteria.

I tend to be a very conscientious driver and as such I hate driving vehicles with other people's dents and dings on them. The wagon I'm looking at online right now has some fairly minor(?) damage on the driver's side rear, dented bumper and wrinkled side panel. So I'm here researching if I would be getting myself way over my head buying it and getting it to look nice. The seller sent me pictures, advice is welcome!
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating first wagon purchase   Contemplating first wagon purchase Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 6:42 pm

Welcome to Longroof! Good luck with your decision. I would voice my opinion but it would be rather obviously biased. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
sagekat

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating first wagon purchase   Contemplating first wagon purchase Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Thank you!

It's now safe to say I'm no longer contemplating this particular wagon I was looking at. I'm 99% sure it's the same one that sold for $900 a couple weeks ago. Seller just told me they've only had it a couple weeks. Two weeks ago it didn't have any body damage and was sold as having the original transmission. Seller tells me tranny has been replaced but doesn't know when. Asking $1,900.

I'm walking away from that, it smells sour to me. Clever to buy something, dent it and turn around and sell it for $1,000 profit but I won't be the one who falls for this one.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating first wagon purchase   Contemplating first wagon purchase Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 12:19 am

welcome. where r u located? Research on here the differences of the various years and their differences (engine types, rear ends, etc). Despite them all looking the same there are some differences to be aware of (example: 91s ALL have 305s in them, no other engine option). Not that there is anything wrong with a 305 (I have 262K on mine!) but it's something to be aware of.

If you live up north, buying a southern car and driving it home (or having it delivered on a truck) would be worth the money as they are less rusty

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating first wagon purchase   Contemplating first wagon purchase Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Not going to try to talk you out of a wagon...a Suburban is a TRUCK, but the plus is you can fill all three rows and still have room behind the 3rd row for a ton of stuff. Fill all three rows in a wagon and you will be using the roof-rack or will have stuff on your lap. Also if you live in a hot area, the rear a/c sure helps a LOT...anyone in the 3rd-row is going to sweat in the summer in a wagon. I've had three Suburbans and a Denali XL and have dealy loved them all.

Now that being said a wagon will drive and handle a LOT better, and if you get an LT1 wagon, especially with the tow-pack, they flat RUN. They also get a LOT of attention...you just don't see them much anymore. And a big plus, especially on trips, you can get high 20's for mileage on a wagon, where 16mpg is "winning" in a Burb.

So there you go. I would not talk you out of either. I've loved my wagons and my Burbs. Good luck on the hunt!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating first wagon purchase   Contemplating first wagon purchase Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Contemplating first wagon purchase
Page 1 of 1