GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Not a wagon, Project Ellie May

Go down 
+2
bamalongroof
stewzer55
6 posters
AuthorMessage
stewzer55

stewzer55

Not a wagon, Project Ellie May Empty
PostSubject: Not a wagon, Project Ellie May   Not a wagon, Project Ellie May Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 10:59 pm

Ellie May is a white 1988 Chevy R30 Cab and Chassis with a 9' flatbed, My uncle has a black 1984 C30 C&C called he calls Jethro, so I call mine Ellie May after The Beverly Hillbillies.

The truck had been sitting in storage for at least 10 years in Northeastern Ohio and ran when parked, and after a while would not start.

Not a wagon, Project Ellie May 20140505_122659

Not a wagon, Project Ellie May 20140505_122712

Not a wagon, Project Ellie May 20140505_122726

The air cleaner being removed may have lead to the throttle body problems that I have had.

Being off loaded in my driveway.

Not a wagon, Project Ellie May 20140505_184217

And the engine after sitting.

Not a wagon, Project Ellie May 20140506_164511

Not a wagon, Project Ellie May 20140506_164505

Its now got a rebuilt throttle body, new injectors, and still the injectors are not firing due to some fault I think is in the ignition system with a good module, good ignition coil and what looks like a new cap and wires.

The story behind this truck is that my granddad bought this truck about 10 years ago and it ran just fine, he bought it cheap with a low mileage Goodwrench 350 under the hood and a clean, relatively low mileage body too. As it sat it later on did not want to start up and run so I think he wanted to pull the intake and distributor and swap it for a Q-Jet and HEI but that never happened and in the last several years his health has been in rapid decline and he doesn't have much time left.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Not a wagon, Project Ellie May   Not a wagon, Project Ellie May Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 1:33 am

Nothing has really happened with this in months, I've been busy on my days off, or its rained, plus working second shift among other things. My grandfather passed on September 11th this year and we think he picked that day.

I've made a list of things that need to really be done.

Brakes: Master cylinder, combination valve, hydroboost leaks

Engine: Ignition, oil change, coolant replacement, new radiator hoses.

Front suspension: ball joints, bushings, alignment

Transmission: Fluid and filter

Tires

Windshield

Radio.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Not a wagon, Project Ellie May   Not a wagon, Project Ellie May Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 1:39 am

Stew - sorry to hear about your Grandfather... Jeff
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Not a wagon, Project Ellie May   Not a wagon, Project Ellie May Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 8:37 am

Sorry for your loss Stew.

That looks like a fun (if not slightly frustrating) project. I got a chuckle, had that exact same seat cover in my Dad's old '78 F-150. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Not a wagon, Project Ellie May   Not a wagon, Project Ellie May Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks guys, Right now the most frustrating part is reaching the distributor, this being at a high stock height and the engine being low and to the back doesn't leave much room for me to get my hands down there.

Taking the hood off makes it easier, but its not easy to do myself. Its unbolted and latched in place. Once it runs again, I'll bolt the hood back on to the hinges.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Not a wagon, Project Ellie May   Not a wagon, Project Ellie May Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 12:16 pm

Just a little bump on this project, I've got a new pair of inner fenders to replace the ones in here that my grandfather had cleaned up and painted at his property, so I think i'm just going to pull the fenders and core support soon. The pickup coil is bad so I'll just swap the whole distributor. I might go ahead and do a bunch of rattle canning too with it all apart.
Back to top Go down
Bobloblaw

Bobloblaw

PostSubject: Re: Not a wagon, Project Ellie May   Not a wagon, Project Ellie May Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 9:07 pm

Will be watching.

I know its not a wagon, but I still like watching the love everyone has for vehicles.
Keep it up.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Not a wagon, Project Ellie May   Not a wagon, Project Ellie May Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 10:14 pm

stewzer55 wrote:
Thanks guys, Right now the most frustrating part is reaching the distributor, this being at a high stock height and the engine being low and to the back doesn't leave much room for me to get my hands down there.  

Taking the hood off makes it easier, but its not easy to do myself.  Its unbolted and latched in place. Once it runs again, I'll bolt the hood back on to the hinges.  

Try jacking it up under the cross member, remove the tires and then lowering down as far as possible. Makes working on the engine much easier.

Bill
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Not a wagon, Project Ellie May   Not a wagon, Project Ellie May Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 3:23 pm

Just climb up into the engine bay and sit down on the battery. It's how I do everything under the hood of my C10.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Not a wagon, Project Ellie May   Not a wagon, Project Ellie May Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 3:31 pm

The biggest reason for pulling the front sheet metal is to paint the frame, and I have replacement inners anyway.

I read something about the later HEI and small cap HEI's being much easier to change the pickup coil, like you can do it without completely tearing down the engine, any of you know anything about this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not a wagon, Project Ellie May   Not a wagon, Project Ellie May Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not a wagon, Project Ellie May
Page 1 of 1