GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

doing mechancial to electric fan swap - missing bolts

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

doing mechancial to electric fan swap - missing bolts Empty
PostSubject: doing mechancial to electric fan swap - missing bolts   doing mechancial to electric fan swap - missing bolts Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 1:30 am

I have the harness from Gary on order, and I got a fan with the plastic mounting bracket out of a wrecked Caprice. (it was already pulled)

I need the bolts that mount that to the radiator, and I can't seem to figure out what they are.

Also I understand I need to replace the water pump bolts with shorter ones.

I figure one of you guys probably has the exploded diagrams, if you can tell me what size or part number for the fan-to-radiator bolts are, and the electric fan water pump bolts, I'd really appreciate it!

thanks!  afro 
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: doing mechancial to electric fan swap - missing bolts   doing mechancial to electric fan swap - missing bolts Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 8:57 am

The bolts are the same as the ones on the secondary fan. You may need a speed nut for the plastic end tank of the radiator on the primary side. They are mirror images for installation. The clips on the top and bottom of the radiator are already there for the fan installation.

You are going to remove the drive bracket for the mechanical fan. Measure the thickness of the bracket, and subtract it from the length of the bolts. You can get bolts at the local parts or hardware store. You should have picked up the screws for the fan from the donor car. If you can not find the top screw, I have a couple of extras shipped for $4 each. The screw at the plastic tank has a 10mm head, and the same thread as the ones that hold the top radiator retainer to the core support. If you remove the bolts holding the secondary fan to the radiator, and take them with you to the parts store, you should be able to get matching ones.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: doing mechancial to electric fan swap - missing bolts   doing mechancial to electric fan swap - missing bolts Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 11:16 pm

Thanks Fred, I was hoping someone may have that data handy so I can have the bolts on-hand rather than do the obvious thing... I'd rather not be interrupted during the swap Smile

So a side glitch here- since my car has the towpack it has the metal coolant pipe on it, which is in pretty bad shape, so once the mech fan goes I'll put the regular hose back on. I already got the Goodyear blue hose kit (5007) on the car- I cut the hose it came with to work with the metal pipe. I called up Goodyear and it turns out that you can't buy the individual hoses and they only come in kits.

I may just get some couplers and put it back together, or if someone (or someones) on the forum want to split up a kit, let me know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: doing mechancial to electric fan swap - missing bolts   doing mechancial to electric fan swap - missing bolts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

doing mechancial to electric fan swap - missing bolts
Page 1 of 1