GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
floormonkey

1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Empty
PostSubject: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 3:05 pm

I recently did a lot of work to my wagon (92 caprice, 5.7L) It's been sitting for 6-8 months. I rebuilt the suspension and replaced the core support. When I got ready to take it to the shop for an alignment, I discovered fuse 6 was blown.

The fuse is marked "GEN" on the panel. The manual shows it to be Alternator, Daytime Running Lights, and Heater/A/C.

Everytime I turn the key to "on" the fuse blows. I've tried it with the blower motor disconnected, the alternator disconnected (both power from battery and plug), blower motor switch disconnected, a/c power switch disconnected, a/c disconnected, all fuses except those needed to start disconnected as well as combinations of the above. I've also tried with the various related relays disconnected.

I'm stumped. I can start it and run on the battery only. The only electrical stuff I worked on when repairing it was the airbag sensors. I replaced the entire front suspension and steering, so I did have the switch on the power steering hose disconnected, as well as the battery disconnected for the entirety. I also had the door panels off and put new speakers in the front doors. It also throws code 22, the Vehicle Speed Sensor-speedo does not work.

Anyone have any ideas? #6 is the only one that blows. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 4:42 pm

Sounds like its a pinched power cable grounding out.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 6:54 pm

If you leave the fuse out, and check the low side of the fuse socket to ground, then start unplugging things you worked on, you should find one of them that is shorting to ground. I believe #6 goes to the AC control module as well. Since you worked on it, anything you replaced or modified is suspect, even the wiring to that part. Check anywhere the wire passes through a metal panel. It could even be two wires pinched together. But foremost of all, check everywhere you did anything, even down to the individual wire.

I trapped a wire under a plastic piece, and it took about 2 months to work its way to the nearby bolt, and shorted the entire lighting system, and blew the fuse. It took me a while to find it, because I had forgotten that I had removed and replaced the part months before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Damn showoff Fred has to say it in a fancier way than I!LOL
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 7:33 am

I are a college gradgiate, I knows the fancy way to say dem tings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 9:50 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I are a college gradgiate, I knows the fancy way to say dem tings.

Boy did yu get your muney's worf out of dem teachings!
Back to top Go down
floormonkey

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 11:21 am

I found the short.

The alternator wires go from the fuse panel to the a/c, then past the blower motor, and through the firewall on the passenger side. It then travels to the front of the engine and under the oil pan. Just above the oil pan, it splits and drops off wires for some sensors and continues up to the alt.

My alt wires were broken in the loom just above where it dropped the sensor wires. My best guess is that I rested or scraped the power steering pump on it when changing it out. Spliced in some wires and put on a new plug, good to go.

Now to sort out my idle problem.

Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
floormonkey

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 11:23 am

I also learned a neat trick: Use a flasher to test the fuse. When it's shorted, you can hear the flasher blinking. When the flasher stops making noise, you've found it. It was a little easier than trying to see the light..
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Nice catch Floormonkey. Glad you found the issue. Happier that you posted up as to what you found , and how you found it. It might help the next guy out down the road.

Dave

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 7:43 am

floormonkey wrote:
I found the short.  

The alternator wires go from the fuse panel to the a/c, then past the blower motor, and through the firewall on the passenger side.  It then travels to the front of the engine and under the oil pan.  Just above the oil pan, it splits and drops off wires for some sensors and continues up to the alt.

My alt wires were broken in the loom just above where it dropped the sensor wires.  My best guess is that I rested or scraped the power steering pump on it when changing it out.  Spliced in some wires and put on a new plug, good to go.

Now to sort out my idle problem.  

Thanks for the help.

So what is your idle issue?
Back to top Go down
floormonkey

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 10:43 am

I tried several things to find the short.  What eventually worked was using my toner left over from my security/lv days, a fluke 3000 (http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Networks-PRO3000-Tone-Probe/dp/B000FTADX0/ref=pd_sim_hi_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NTZFZ9CRK70R8M5BA0W)

That toner is probably a little $$ for the average diy, but this one should do the same, and is cheap enough to own: http://www.amazon.com/Sinometer-MS6812-Generator-Cable-Tracer/dp/B004YLXR24/ref=sr_1_9?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1402929513&sr=1-9&keywords=tone+and+probe

Hooked it up to the fuse panel.  You can then just touch the end of the toner to the wiring harness to see if the current is continuous or shorted.  I touched the end of the alternator plug and no tone, so I followed it back until I found tone.  When I pulled off the wire loom, it was obvious.  

The most frustrating thing was that I forgot I had the toner and spent a bunch of time trying to find the short.  Once I had the toner, it was less than 10 minutes before I had it pinpointed to a 2" region.

Fred-I fixed the idle.  It was a low idle at startup, then after about 10 seconds it would kick to a high idle.  When doing the test drive, it would die.  The MAF sensor was unplugged.  Now the idle is good.

Now I have a stumble/acceleration issue...I'm doing FF and injector cleaning today, hopefully it's simple.  These nickle and dimes are wearing me out.
Back to top Go down
floormonkey

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Fuel filter fixed the stumble/acceleration problem. It's now inspected and street legal. I think I'm going to replace the master cylinder, the brakes are a little off and I've bled them well. The front reservoir doesn't seem to be "bubbling" when the pedal is depressed.

It goes to the alignment shop and a/c shop this week, by Monday I should be back rolling in the wagon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue   1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1992 Caprice wagon fuse 6 issue
Page 1 of 1