GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why? Empty
PostSubject: exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why?   exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 3:16 am

Is there any particular reason why on these LT1 motors that some of the bolts are 3/8-16x1.5 with a half inch spacer, and some are just 1 inch bolts without?

Also on my particular car, there are 3 studs, only one of which is actually used for anything (alternator bracket) - so I may just replace those with bolts. Only thing I can think of is that the studs are there to hold the gasket in place during assembly, assuming the nut is supposed to come off. It looks like it may be permanently attached, though.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why?   exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 10:00 am

The spacers had something to do with thermal expansion. Not sure how much they helped as the rears break off anyways
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why?   exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 11:24 am

I will say this, having spacers on the bolts allows you to remove the shaft with vice grips without having to remove the exhaust manifold if it's just the bolt head that pops off. When I replaced my exhaust manifold bolts, I used longer bolts and put spacers on ALL of the bolts for that exact reason.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why?   exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 2:20 pm

That's what I was thinking as well, just use spacers for all.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why?   exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 pm

Use grade 8 bolts while you are at it, and put anti-seize on them.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why?   exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 12:43 pm

Fred: already in the plan. Smile

Anyone know where to get these steel spacers? The GM ones are crazy expensive. I may try the motorcycle parts place, I think they have those exact things (but chromed.)

Searching online so far hasn't been very helpful- too much noise in the signal.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why?   exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Not sure on the length, but you can get them fairly cheap from mcmaster
http://www.mcmaster.com/#unthreaded-steel-spacers/=sv8vft
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why?   exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 1:01 am

Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why?   exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

exhaust manifold bolt spacers- why?
Page 1 of 1