GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are good used tanks available?

Go down 
+4
Fred Kiehl
200OZ
lakeffect
nickyace
8 posters
AuthorMessage
nickyace

nickyace

Are good used tanks available? Empty
PostSubject: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 10:51 pm

Tonight I came home to find my next door neighbor and his Dad waiting for me. They bought a 96 RMW new,and the father was beside himself because he was smelling fuel when he filled the car up and the garage he's been using for years told him the tank was bad and there was nothing he could do and he should think about getting rid of the car. The car is a really nice,1 owner car,that has about 150K on it, but religiously maintained and never abused. I think the garage guy didn't want to get involved in what could be a can of worms. I gave them the numbers for the tank straps and sending units, but if the top ring for the tank is rotted, what can be done,short of replacing the tank? Again,the tank has not yet been out of the car,so I don't know if that's even the problem. It could just be a rotted sender line. I'm in CT and wonder if anyone has a good, used tank they're willing to part with. I told him I would strap a fuel cell to the roof before I would get rid of that car! Any help I can get on this would be great. Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 11:07 pm

I think you had the right idea. Drop the tank first. See what parts you need, and get back to us.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 12:16 am

I've got a tank out of a '95 Caprice wagon if need be. Shipping a used tank may be an issue. Road trip....?

Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 12:24 am

Check the soft vent pipe and filler tube. I found mine leaking recently. The vent hose is 18mm. The soft filler is a OEM part, and not available.

Tanks are few and far between. All of the yards here punch a hole in them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 12:33 am

I happen to have a tank AND a set of straps... but I'm in Florida. Hmmm...
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 7:17 am

Like has been said, drop the tank and figure the problem out. I'd be leaning towards the sending unit as it is a 20 year old, northeast car. Whatever it is, it's a relatively easy fix.

There's a member here from CT, Trumbell I believe, who has extra tanks. I know he could help you. He is Dave, and forum name is "95BRMW". You could PM him, I know he is on vacation till the end of the week. I'll let him know.

Tom
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 am

I thought these tanks were plastic not metal. how could the tank rust a hole in it?
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 11:19 am

The fuel tank sending unit mount has some sort of a metal ring molded into the tank. I've seen a few tanks that the plastic has split open from that molded in ring rusting, causing leaks when the tank is filled. This could be the problem nickyace is seeing. Although we all know it's the sender that usually leaks, the leak would be constant, no just when filled up. The fill hose would also be a more consistent leak as well, we don't have enough info to say what the issue really is. It sounds like the owner took the car to his trusted repair shop,and they found a bad tank.... It's possible.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 11:26 am

It could be the vent hose on the top of the tank. Mine split, and was dripping fuel when full. You could not tell it was cracked when less than full, because it did not drip, nor was it wet. You still have to drop the tank to replace it. It is an 18mm hose, and can not be found on a Saturday or Sunday.
Back to top Go down
nickyace

nickyace

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 12:03 pm

I'm going to tell Ian (my neighbor) to have the garage pull the tank out, and see what's going on. I pulled the tank out of my 95 RMW to change the fuel pump and that one underneath looked like they pulled it out of the Andrea Doria, and the ring was fine. The nuts were pretty rotten, but came of with a little TLC and patience. I hope it's something as stupid as a vent line or the filler neck. I think ultimately I'll end up doing this job,because it sounds like their mechanic has cold feet about pulling the tank down. Some oil these guys just like doing brake jobs and tune ups.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 6:29 pm

I agree with you about his mechanic either not wanting to do the repair or he,s hoping to get the wagon for himself!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 pm

If you end up needing a tank let me know, I'm in Trumbull CT and have a couple laying around. I think they have filler necks too (no sending units though)
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 4:52 pm

I've had the top of the tank crack so when you filled it it leaked. No rust involved either, the plastic just split
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are good used tanks available?   Are good used tanks available? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are good used tanks available?
Page 1 of 1