GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rim up, Tire down?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Stolas

Stolas

Rim up, Tire down? Empty
PostSubject: Rim up, Tire down?   Rim up, Tire down? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 6:16 pm

So here is the deal. Ive been looking high and wide for a new set of tires. I seem to come across a whole lotta truck tires and a whole lotta others that i would never put on any car due to them being crap. So in an effort to expand my possibilities I determined going to a 16"-17" rim would help but the biggest breakthrough was going to a 26"-27" tall tire versus the stock 28". So my question is does anyone have any real world experience with what i can expect out of downsizing the tire on stock rear tow package gearing beyond the obvious of the speedo being off and higher highway revs. Im really looking to know if it has any affect on acceleration and handling. I hope to get rid of some of the tire roll and maybe get off a stop light a little quicker but without having to worry about burning rubber every time i accelerate rapidly. Any input would be helpful.
Back to top Go down
Stolas

Stolas

Rim up, Tire down? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim up, Tire down?   Rim up, Tire down? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Crap, maybe this would help. 94 roadmaster wagon with tow package...
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Rim up, Tire down? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim up, Tire down?   Rim up, Tire down? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 7:07 pm

I ran the 255/50/17 (stock Impala SS) wheels for YEARS without any issues other than the speedo was a little off. PCM reprogramming fixed it.
Back to top Go down

Rim up, Tire down? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim up, Tire down?   Rim up, Tire down? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 9:55 pm

Stolas wrote:

So here is the deal. Ive been looking high and wide for a new set of tires. I seem to come across a whole lotta truck tires and a whole lotta others that i would never put on any car due to them being crap. So in an effort to expand my possibilities I determined going to a 16"-17" rim would help but the biggest breakthrough was going to a 26"-27" tall tire versus the stock 28". So my question is does anyone have any real world experience with what i can expect out of downsizing the tire on stock rear tow package gearing beyond the obvious of the speedo being off and higher highway revs. Im really looking to know if it has any affect on acceleration and handling. I hope to get rid of some of the tire roll and maybe get off a stop light a little quicker but without having to worry about burning rubber every time i accelerate rapidly. Any input would be helpful.

I for one would love to know which size tire allows me to burn rubber every time I accelerate rapidly!Only way I can burn any rubber now is with a match and some lighter fluid! lol! Figured I would get in the slow TBI wagon comment before the peanut gallery does.Seriously if you go with a 17 inch rim a lot of us are running the size 235/55/17 takeoffs which allows about a 27 inch tall tire with a much wider contact patch.Its still a very popular size with many available used from craigslist.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Rim up, Tire down? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim up, Tire down?   Rim up, Tire down? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 10:54 pm

I'm running the 255/50/17 now without issue but the speedo. Jeff
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Rim up, Tire down? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim up, Tire down?   Rim up, Tire down? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 12:02 pm

I run 235/55/17's on my wagon. These are the police-spec size still, so you can find decent Goodyear take-off's cheap. This is also the stock Mustang size, so Pirelli P-Zero Nero's can also be found as take-offs cheap.

I loved the way the Pirelli's rode on my wagon, but they are a soft rubber and wore out fast. The Goodyear Eagle GA police-spec tires tend to last a lot longer.

Can find all these on Craigslist or used tires stores cheap!

-Mike

Example http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ptd/4599967802.html
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Rim up, Tire down? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim up, Tire down?   Rim up, Tire down? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 11:25 pm

That's a really good deal........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rim up, Tire down? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim up, Tire down?   Rim up, Tire down? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rim up, Tire down?
Page 1 of 1