GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Great junkyard discovery!

Go down 
+2
81X11
Mark 96 Roady
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Great junkyard discovery! Empty
PostSubject: Great junkyard discovery!   Great junkyard discovery! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 4:32 pm

If you have a wagon with the card board trimmed map pockets in the seat back, read on. Yesterday I was at the junk yard and found a 95 Roady Limited wagon with tan leather seats like mine. The passenger seat was perfect, and I wanted the bottom to transfer to the bottom driver side of my wagon. I'll either use it as is when I do the console swap, or get it sewn in place to fit the current seat. Anyway, the seat back on the driver side of mine is slightly worn, and the junk yard seat back is perfect. All you need to do to remove the seat cushion is remove the cardboard piece that holds the map pocket. Once off, the seat cover is held in place by a fastener that requires no tools to remove. The cover came off in about 3 minutes. Best part is that the driver and passenger seat back appear to be exactly the same! Obviously it is always easier to find a mint passenger seat than a driver seat. And, for me at least, it gets even better. The pull a part in Cleveland where I got the parts only charged $3.75 per seat cushion!! While at the yard I saw a Roadmaster non Limited sedan where the map pocket is sewn in, so I imagine removing that seat cover would be more work. Anyway, with what it costs to recover leather seats, this looks like a great way to save major bucks.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Great junkyard discovery!   Great junkyard discovery! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Nice! Very cool find and cool trick!
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Great junkyard discovery!   Great junkyard discovery! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 2:06 am

good to know, thnx
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Great junkyard discovery!   Great junkyard discovery! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 11:35 pm

You could pull the leather up a little and unbolt the whole seatback at the hinge. You have to remove the headrest to get the seat back leather off.
Back to top Go down
theamcguy

theamcguy

PostSubject: Re: Great junkyard discovery!   Great junkyard discovery! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 8:13 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You could pull the leather up a little and unbolt the whole seatback at the hinge. You have to remove the headrest to get the seat back leather off.

Fred, how do you remove the headrest?
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Great junkyard discovery!   Great junkyard discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 4:43 pm

The head rest comes off by just pulling. It is kinda hard to pull, but it will come off. When you have the card board cover off that the map pocket is attached to, reach inside the seat, and you will see the bottom of the head rest mount. If you push from the bottom, and pull from the top at the same time it will come off. At least that is how the junk yard 95 Roady came apart. I would assume they are all the same.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Great junkyard discovery!   Great junkyard discovery! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 5:42 pm

It's probably been 10 years since I've done it, but here is what I remember. I took a long plastic tie wrap and slid it down by the back of the headrest shaft. There is something you have to release, keep upward pressure on the headrest and it will come out.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great junkyard discovery!   Great junkyard discovery! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great junkyard discovery!
Page 1 of 1