GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

upper control arm bushing bolt torquing

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

upper control arm bushing bolt torquing Empty
PostSubject: upper control arm bushing bolt torquing   upper control arm bushing bolt torquing Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Yeah, more torque.

The manuals specify a torque value for these nuts, which is kind of laughable since I doubt there's any way to get a torque wrench of any sort on those nuts. Maybe with a 24mm crows foot, which I doubt I can get anywhere locally.

Is there another trick to getting those nuts set to the right value? Does it really matter much?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: upper control arm bushing bolt torquing   upper control arm bushing bolt torquing Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 12:36 pm

lamune wrote:
Yeah, more torque.

The manuals specify a torque value for these nuts, which is kind of laughable since I doubt there's any way to get a torque wrench of any sort on those nuts. Maybe with a 24mm crows foot, which I doubt I can get anywhere locally.

Is there another trick to getting those nuts set to the right value? Does it really matter much?

Make sure they're goodntite
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: upper control arm bushing bolt torquing   upper control arm bushing bolt torquing Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 1:11 pm

Nick - I just figured out a way to make sure they're goodntite. I was able to get a torque wrench on one of the nuts and see what the recommended torque was like. Since all the stud ends are the same length, eyeballing how many threads were sticking out at the end and duplicating that seemed like a pretty good solution to the problem.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: upper control arm bushing bolt torquing   upper control arm bushing bolt torquing Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 4:21 pm

Now you;re learning,.

over analyzing things will make you an engineer,.

are you using grade 8 bolts?
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: upper control arm bushing bolt torquing   upper control arm bushing bolt torquing Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 6:06 pm

I'm not really sure what the grade of the nuts and threads on the bushing shaft are. The nut had markings that I hadn't seen before.

Also I had to chase the threads with a tap before I could get one of the nuts threaded on- and on both control arms too- which was odd. The ends may have gotten dinged in shipping.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: upper control arm bushing bolt torquing   upper control arm bushing bolt torquing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

upper control arm bushing bolt torquing
Page 1 of 1