GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cargo lights changes

Go down 
+2
nstg8r
cbshea13
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cbshea13

cbshea13

Cargo lights changes Empty
PostSubject: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 5:13 pm

So the other day, I was looking for a way to make my cargo lights come on with the interior lights. I ended up finding the conversion on the Impala SS forums. I will send the link and post pictures when I get home to my computer and a short video of what I did. The whole process took about 40 minutes of my 1 hour lunch today.

the only complaint that I have is that the Gate ajar light comes on whenever the interior lights are on or a door is open.

Edit:
LOL! The link I have has the thing about the Gate ajar light being on ...learn to read ALL the directions, Chris, hehe.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showpost.php?p=2578573&postcount=27

Gate Ajar light...
Cargo lights changes IMG_20140915_170636593

Video showing the lights in action:

Last edited by cbshea13 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Are you still able to turn them on manually?
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 5:24 pm

Yes. The only change literally is I ran a jumper wier from the cargo light wire to the door wire at the seat belt panel.
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 6:19 pm

That sucks that it makes it think that the rear door is open though.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Chris

What if you disconnect the source of power to the cargo lights and leave only the source from the door lights to the cargo lights.  That way you may eliminate the door ajar light as you are taking the cargo lights out of that circuit.

Tom
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 6:32 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Chris

What if you disconnect the source of power to the cargo lights and leave only the source from the door lights to the cargo lights.  That way you may eliminate the door ajar light as you are taking the cargo lights out of that circuit.

Tom
I must be a very visual person, this isn't clicking for me.
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 6:38 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Chris

Tom

Well, in the original instructions there is a warning about that. Guess that's what I deserve for looking at the pictures lol. I will do some research on this and see how hard it would be to disconnect that warning light, but it's no big deal really.

Original post is updated with link, pic and short video.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:00 pm

i did mine in the b pillar instead of the tailgate area

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t6452-rear-cargo-light-mod?highlight=cargo+lights
the other thing that helps is changing the rear bulbs to brighter ones i would have to go look at mine to see which ones they are and no they dont melt the lenses. tim told me about those bulbs. oh on mine the gate ajar light comes on also no biggie.
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 1:31 am

I put in led bulbs back there, it made a HUGE difference!!!
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 7:54 am

nstg8r wrote:
I put in led bulbs back there,  it made a HUGE difference!!!

Last night, after the sun went down, I noticed that my car is now about 1000% brighter with all the lights, lol. I went from only having a dome light last month, to having 4 courtesy lights in each door, and having the cargo lights come on as well. My daughter pointed out that if we ever take long trips, she won't be able to sleep if the interior lights are on.

I will look into LED's in the back, but I was also considering putting in a strip on the panels in the cargo area. That is nothing more than a thought at this point, though.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 9:21 am

ti think u are now up you 2 mods. starting to snow ball Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 9:51 am

mtrhead79 wrote:
ti think u are now up you 2 mods. starting to snow ball Very Happy

Hahahaha.  Yes it is.  Just have to be sure that I remember Christmas is coming and I have to buy Santa is bringing laptops for the kids this year.

My next big project is the factory radio is coming out.  I'm SO tired of having to break out the cassette tapes...erm, using the adapter for the mp3 player.  Also, I may be changing the front speakers (rears were done with cheapy clearance speakers from work, and are surprisingly clear).

My only issue is that I seem to be breaking away from my "problem" with the original look.  (LOL!)  Let me quote Tim for that one....

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Yeah stock....  

woot!

Edit:
Oh and I will be installing 2 or 3 accessory plugs in the near future. One on the passenger side front, and one at each of the 2nd row of seats (Once I find a place that I like where they are sitting).
Back to top Go down
rabalc

rabalc

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:58 pm

nstg8r wrote:
I put in led bulbs back there,  it made a HUGE difference!!!

I also did led's in all my interior lights, it really brightens it up!! I am going to do the cargo light thing soon, never could understand why they didn't come on with the rest. Will try for some pictures some nite soon
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 pm

I did leds there and under the dash. I will do the rest at some point in the future.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 1:00 am

I changed the cargo light bulbs to LEDs and also found it is much brighter in there now. Instead of wiring them to the door circuit, I plan to add a strip of LEDs somewhere around the rear of the moonroof, and wire them in to the interior light circuit next. I added a strip of waterproof LEDs to replace the corroded underhood light and found it to be an incredible amount of light. Checking fluids in the winter has never been so easy Very Happy :

Cargo lights changes Underhood_light
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 7:36 pm

I did add in a few more lights...
Cargo lights changes IMG_20140916_194051010

With the courtesy lights there already, it took like 5 minutes per door. I went with red due to a closer match to my exterior paint color.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cargo lights changes   Cargo lights changes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cargo lights changes
Page 1 of 1