GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AzDon

AzDon

Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up... Empty
PostSubject: Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up...   Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 1:34 am

During my interior swap, ALL FOUR of the rear seat shoulder harness reels have decided against allowing the belts to be pulled out for use.... took me over ten minutes to pull enough belt a quarter inch at a time to bolt the end into the floorboard.....
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up...   Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 8:03 am

If you did not swap the belts onto the original retractors, the donor ones may not be right for the car. I believe the 91 and 92s are different.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up...   Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks for the reply, Fred!
The two wagons are both 91's, but the mounting configuration of the retractors was slightly different... GM compensated for this by having two different styles of mounting brackets pop-riveted to the retractors so that the same retractor could fit both cars. During the process of switching and re-riveting these brackets, I apparently switched left for right (at least with the tan belts) and they won't work, even though they look identical....
What I found is, if you remove the red cover, there is a square white plastic pendulum/ ratchet apparatus that is designed to allow the belt out only when the car is level with the retractor installed. On one side of the car, the red cover is on the top, while it's on the bottom on the other side of the car.....THAT IS WHY THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT PENDULUM/RATCHET ASSEMBLIES..... Good news is that these ratchets can be switched left for right, so it isn't a hard problem to fix!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up...   Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 5:42 pm

That is nice to know. The front retractors should haveĀ a similar arrangement.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up...   Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 6:29 pm

I wasn't able to mix the front ones up because I kept them with the door threshhold moldings, however, those retractors mount 90 degrees to the ground (instead of 45 degrees) so they are probably swappable left for right
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up...   Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Shoulder Harness reels s crewed up...
Page 1 of 1