GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dwightlightning

LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car? Empty
PostSubject: LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car?   LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2014 11:48 am

So, I've picked up headers and a Impala SS catback to adapt to them.
I haven't looked under a LT1 car yet but I was wondering if the trans crossmember with the 2 exhaust humps is a bolt in on a TBI car?
There is an LT1 wagon at a local wrecker that I got some trim parts off of last week but I didn't think about the crossmember until a couple days later. If the crossmember is a direct fit I'll go back and get it.
The car also has the V92 trailer package with limited slip and 3.23 gears. My car already has them but I thought I might take the diff for a spare, or to help someone out who's looking.
I considered the engine and trans but the car has 385,000 km (239,000 miles) on it with no collision damage. I suspect it was scrapped due to powertrain issues.
Where is the main computer on that car? I might grab it and the harness in case I come across a good deal on an LT1.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car?   LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2014 5:58 pm

It will fit with some work. The bolt holes on the driver's side line up, the passenger side needs to have holes drilled in the frame. You also have to notch the crossmember for the tailshaft of the tranny to fit.
Back to top Go down
dwightlightning

PostSubject: Re: LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car?   LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 12:42 am

Thanks David.
I'll pick it up next week.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car?   LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 7:58 am

It is fairly easy to make a 91-93 cross member fit the dual exhaust. You weld a hump on top, cut the bottom out, and weld cover plates over the open ends. If you weld the hump on top first, it will not warp when you cut the bottom out because you still have an uninterrupted tube past the cutout. I did it to mine, and it works very well.

I ran mine as an almost mirror image of the single exhaust. If I were to start again, I would "relief" the floor a little under the driver's seat, and rear seat to allow a little more room for the pipe under the car. I also removed the last bolt and about 2 inches from the drive shaft loop on the driver's side to get a little more clearance. If you relief the driver's side floor, you could keep the end of the drive shaft loop. When installing the pipe on the driver's side make sure the trans is in first gear so that the linkage does not hit the pipe. The linkage rotates back and down as you go from park to first. You can get a muffler bracket for the frame from a donor 91-93...the holes are already there to mount one from the donor car's passenger side. Then just make a mirror image of the passenger's side hook mount and slip it in place. If you have auto level, you have to remove the compressor, because the muffler requires that space. If you want to keep the auto level, the 94-96s have the compressor mounted behind the front bumper cover in front of the wheelhouse extension on the driver's side.

93 Cadillac Fleetwood electric fans would clean up your engine compartment and get rid of the mechanical fan. I just did it to my 91 OCC, and it makes the area look really clean. They are almost a total bolt in except for the wiring harness and relays. I did a write-up on ISSF with pics (longroof does not like my pics).

The computer is under the air cleaner. You might consider looking for an LQ4 instead of an LT1. The installation is about the same, and you get a lot more power. The LQ4s are becoming a lot more available in the yards, and the swap is pretty well figured out.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car?   LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 10:37 am

Or you can drill two holes, skip all the welding and be done in a couple hours.
Back to top Go down
dwightlightning

PostSubject: Re: LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car?   LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
My welding skills leave a lot to be desired but I'm getting better. For a structural piece like the crossmember I should probably go with the LT1 piece for peace of mind.

We had our first snow of the year last night, about 4-5 inches. I think I'll go out and test my new Dunlop snow tires and limited slip!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car?   LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 2:55 pm

dwightlightning wrote:

We had our first snow of the year last night, about 4-5 inches. I think I'll go out and test my new Dunlop snow tires and limited slip!

where yuou located?
Back to top Go down
dwightlightning

PostSubject: Re: LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car?   LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 12:28 am

phantom 309 wrote:
dwightlightning wrote:

where yuou located?

Calgary, Alberta.
It was about 55*F yesterday and this morning woke up to about 4" of snow and 25*F. By this afternoon I would say we had about 7-8" of heavy, wet snow. I had to shovel the sidewalk 3 times.
Last week I put on new Dunlop Grandtrek 6 snow tires, 235/70R15 on 15X9" wheels. They are a directional tire with 23* lugs and lots of siping for ice. Today was their first test and I was very impressed. Having the fuel tank behind the rear wheels on these cars with a full tank adds a great deal of leverage to the traction and the limited slip is great. I motored down unplowed roads like I was in four wheel drive.
Lots of people have commented on "What a cool wagon" I've got and I love it!
My one beef with the car, (I bought it for the winter), is that with the auto climate control you don't have full control of where you want the hot air flowing. You can't have it set on defrost and floor heat at the same time, defrost only. If I want to keep the windshield from frosting or fogging up my feet get cold.
It has rear a window heater and heated mirrors which are a nice bonus.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car?   LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LT1 trans crossmember on TBI single exhaust car?
Page 1 of 1