GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Back on the road (almost)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
71novaguy

Back on the road (almost) Empty
PostSubject: Back on the road (almost)   Back on the road (almost) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 10:09 pm

Well, it's been a few weeks but car is back on the road. I put way to much time and effort into it, but too late now.
All said and done, I have:
Re-sealed the engine
Installed new heads
Cleaned and painted nearly everything engine related
Replaced the power steering pump, alternator, starter, harmonic balancer, all transmission lines, pressure side power steering line, oil cooler lines, cats, and exhaust system. The walker replacement actually sounds ok.
Changed trans fluid/filter and added drain plug to pan
Removed the air injection system
Things I have learned from this experience:
If you have variable power assist steering, the line will be made incorrect. It has one too many bends. All the big parts stores use the same vendor so you will have to bend the hose to fit.
When you bend the new line, you will have to change the position of the solenoid on the pump. It will leak. Get the seal kit and fix it because removing it twice sucks.
With enough Tetris skills, the trans cooler lines will come out around the radiator.
Take better notes when taking things apart or you too will have a spare bracket you don't have any idea where it goes.
Tighten all the exhaust clamps or you will make sparks when you floor it
The motor mounts are a pain in the ass. If they aren't broke, don't replace them.
That's it for tonight. Bed time now

Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Back on the road (almost)   Back on the road (almost) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 11:22 pm

Sounds like she will be ready for WagonFest Daytona. Jeff
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

PostSubject: Re: Back on the road (almost)   Back on the road (almost) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 8:49 am

Well more like trying to get it baby ready. I got about 5 months to have it worry free. I've drove it to Kansas and back 3 times now without issue, just want to make sure I head off any major repairs the next 2-3 years. I seriously have no idea where my left over bracket goes though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back on the road (almost)   Back on the road (almost) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back on the road (almost)
Page 1 of 1