GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!

Go down 
+10
93capriceltz
Big Wagon Guy
Andebe
Mark 96 Roady
jasonlachapelle
Wagoninabox
mtrhead79
bamalongroof
Fred Kiehl
silverfox103
14 posters
AuthorMessage
silverfox103
silverfox103

Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Empty
PostSubject: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 8:47 pm

For eight years I have been searching for a set of blue cloth RMW seats.  I don't know if they are scarce, but I could never find them......Until this week.  Brian "Masshole9C1" over on the BADASS forum, posted that he spotted a RMW at a used car lot, that was headed to the junkyard.  He posted some pictures of it, and in all honesty, it was ready for the scrapyard.  I asked him about the seats, he said they were cloth and weren't that bad.  He went back and took pictures.  They were definitely dirty and had quite a few grease spots.  Turns out it was owned by the mechanic at the lot.  Obviously it was his work car.

I called him up, he said he wanted to sell it whole for $500.  Not interested, even if it did have the cloth seats.  Told him I wanted the seats and nothing else.  He agreed, $150.  I was figuring $100 would have been fair, but wasn't going to argue over $50 for the cloth seats.

The next day, I made a 400 mile round trip to remove them.  They definitely were dirty, but there were no rips and they were firm.  You just had to see through the dirt.  Got them home and the following day I rented a carpet / upholstery shampoo machine.  I used heavy doses of Oxi Clean, Orange Blaster, and Green Clean.  Seats came out like new.

Tom

Before.... this is how I first saw them
Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Blueseats1_zpsf452a969

Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Blueseats2_zps6515646d

Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Blueseats3_zps07c65ad4

That's me, hard at work.
Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Blueseats7_zps1137957f

Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Blueseats4_zps5df51609

After I cleaned, like new.
Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Blueseats6_zps3b4a273d

Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Blueseats5_zpsb0199a6e

I put them in front of the pellet stove to dry.  Jake wasn't too happy, as this is where he likes to sleep.
Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Blueseats8_zpsb5f51eb9

Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Blueseats9_zpse6424ed6

Last edited by silverfox103 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 9:34 pm

I am glad you got them. Nice seats are hard to come by. They look nice. It is amazing what a little cleaning will do for a set of dirty seats.

I found a set of standard RM DMR cloth seats in a junk yard car with 35K on the clock. Needless to say, they are now riding around in my 92 OCC. I would trade them for an equally nice set of DMR leather seats for an OCC. The console/arm rest is so clean that you could eat out of it.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 10:17 pm

Looking good Tom.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 11:03 pm

great to see your trip was worth it
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 11:48 pm

Wow. That is encouraging. It was worth the trip and the "sweat equity" you put in as they look great.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 12:00 am

didn't realize they were so rare. Nice work.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 10:39 am

Wow Tom those look nice! Are you planning to replace the blue leather seats in your wagon for good, or just changing things up a little? Are you heading south this winter again?
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 10:52 am

They seem uncommon. For cloth seats, I have only come across 2 sets of red and a mint tan set. I would love to have taken the tan cloth set but someone had razored large X's on them and rendered them useless. I did nab the cloth center console though since it was undamaged.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 11:02 am

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
Wow Tom those look nice! Are you planning to replace the blue leather seats in your wagon for good, or just changing things up a little? Are you heading south this winter again?

Hi Mark

We're heading down south again right after Christmas for 3 months.  Don't know what exactly what I'll do with the seats, but probably as you said, "change things up a little".

Tom

Wagoninabox wrote:
I would love to have taken the tan cloth set but someone had razored large X's on them and rendered them useless.  I did nab the cloth center console though since it was undamaged.

I grabbed a tan RMW set for my Caprice wagon this past summer. Same thing, a little dirty, but they cleaned up nice.  They are very comfortable.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 6:39 pm

I didnt realize you guys were using anything but the buckets....Ive passed on several decent sets of the split benches Shocked
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Good find Tom   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 9:57 pm

Glad you finally found a set. I had no idea that the Standard cloth seats were rare, I have seen a couple sets in the yards...On the other hand I have been looking for a set of Standard Blue leathers seats for years.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Big Wagon Guy wrote:
On the other hand I have been looking for a set of Standard Blue leathers seats for years.

You never know John, if I decide to get rid of mine, I will let you know.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 12:03 am

Big Wagon Guy wrote:
Glad you finally found a set. I had no idea that the Standard cloth seats were rare, I have seen a couple sets in the yards...On the other hand I have been looking for a set of Standard Blue leathers seats for years.

I know where a set of really nice dark blue leather seats is. They would require shipping unless you are coming to Florida. I do not have a price, but I would guess $300 for fronts and rears plus shipping. I do know that the owner would not split the set up.
Back to top Go down
93capriceltz

93capriceltz

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 8:44 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Big Wagon Guy wrote:

I know where a set of really nice dark blue leather seats is. They would require shipping unless you are coming to Florida. I do not have a price, but I would guess $300 for fronts and rears plus shipping. I do know that the owner would not split the set up.

Have any pics Fred? What part of FL? Also looking for some dark blue leather style rear door panels for my 92 wagon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 10:14 am

Glad they cleaned up for you, and looking forward to seeing them installed.

Gotta have projects!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 10:17 am

Congrats Tom, those cleaned up nicely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 5:37 pm

When I found a suitable OCC blue cloth interior, I found that the car was not nearly as highly optioned as the car with leather.....I think GM believes that everybody that wants premium options also wants leather..... Since a RMW is a premium car, cloth seating itself may be a rarity, while in a Caprice, leather might be more rare....
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 5:52 pm

There was no leather available in Caprice wagons at all, only the sedans, and it is indeed uncommon.

Me? I'd buy a fully loaded car with cloth just to avoid ever having to deal with hot, cracking, shitty leather ANY day.

Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 7:02 pm

I clean cars for a living and this is what I have learned: My next car will have black leather interior with heated seats.. BUT I also learned from my BLUE cloth interior is that SEM 4820 (MAB cloth color) through a HVLP gun will fix ANY stain that won't come out with the extractor.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 7:41 pm

Stingroo wrote:
There was no leather available in Caprice wagons at all, only the sedans, and it is indeed uncommon.

Me? I'd buy a fully loaded car with cloth just to avoid ever having to deal with hot, cracking, shitty leather ANY day.

Ditto.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!   Blue Cloth Seats.........at last! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blue Cloth Seats.........at last!
Page 1 of 1