HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

carrying spares

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
papa

PostSubject: carrying spares   Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:44 pm

I intend to carry a spare fuel pump, a belt,a rotor button, and an ignition module when I start driving my '91 Caprice wagon. What else do you all carry? Question
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: carrying spares   Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:31 am

The ignition module is probably overkill. If you are going to take a rotor button, I would take a cap as well. If the rotor button self destructs, it will take the cap with it. If you install an AC Delco pump, you should have years of good service.

A good thing to take along is an extra alternator. The bearings are subject to occasional failure, and if they fail it will act like the engine is seizing. Some vacuum hose might com in handy. I always carry a set of ratchet and socket wrenches for all of the common bolt sizes. 5.5, 7, 8, 10, 13, and 15mm are the most common. A few various length extensions for the ratchet set is nice. A screw driver with multi tips, pliers, channel locks, a set of jumper cables, a couple of various size Crescent wrenches, a roll of hanger wire, and a roll of duct tape. Make sure your jack works properly and the spare is in good condition. The car is pretty much bullet proof, and I would not worry too much. Major systems have run for half a million miles, and I have seen them in the junk yards with that amount of mileage on them.

I would take the same things mentioned above with me in any car, except maybe the alternator, so it is not a special group of items.

If you are going far from home, I would suggest getting a set of metal fuel lines from a 91-92 Fleetwood with an LO3/5, or a 93 Fleetwood. so you can check the fuel pressure. The lines from the 91-92 are identical to the B-body lines, but have a Schrader valve port. The 93 has a Schrader valve as well, and fits in the same place, but does not have the S bend in it that goes behind the AC compressor. Both styles of lines bolt in, and connect to the nylon lines at the quick disconnects on the passenger's side. You can then install a permanent mini fuel pressure gauge, and you no longer need to guess if the fuel pump is working.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: carrying spares   Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:05 am

Add fuses to that list. A spare spark plug and a wire that will reach any plug might be handy. The #2 wire is the longest, so if it will reach there, it will reach anywhere. I would take an Ignition module, as they are prone (in my experience) to instant failure.
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: carrying spares   Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Spare coolant hose and spare heater controll valve - I have had three of the darn things go bad over the last 4 years, and the coolant leaks resulting from them have left me stranded without fail - $15 part (if that).
Tools to replace above parts.
Zip-Ties & duct tape
Spare fluids (oil, power steering, coolant, transmission), although those are easy to find most places.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: carrying spares   Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:31 pm

And of course a small single axle trailer with a gas powered air compressor! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: carrying spares   Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:13 pm

I take a spare AAA card.

Meh. If it breaks, I have a socket set and bubble gum. I can fix it.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: carrying spares   Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Things that can also be found in my cars are a flashlight/work light, Blanket for warmth and one to lay on the ground. A first aid kit and pair of gloves.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin

PostSubject: Re: carrying spares   Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:55 pm

What I packed depends of where I went. Under 100 miles: Nothing. 100-250 miles: Gallon of water and a quart or two of oil, can of fix-a-flat. Over 250 miles: Dedicated credit card for parts/repairs

The correct answer is that nobody here knows your car's personality and quirks like you do. EVERY car has different "needs". I have a steadfast rule " If I don't feel comfortable taking the car cross country on a whim, it needs to go". My wagon left me on the side of the road twice. The last time she got 2 new parts: A fuel pump and a for sale sign.
Back to top Go down
Bobloblaw

PostSubject: Re: carrying spares   Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:26 am

I pack along nearly half of my toolbox.....because you just never know.
My tool bag gets so heavy that I can barely lift the dang thing.
Never fails, does not matter how many different tools you bring, you will always forget the one you need.

In all honesty I bring:
Flashlight
3 sizes/lengths of Crescent wrenches
1 set each of open end wrenches SAE/Metric
100 ft of rope
Leatherman
Water
Set of Alen Wrenches
Electrical tape
Most important....I bring a Prayer.

I have never brought any "spare" parts. I figured if it is fails while driving, at least I have some tools to replace it.
I NEVER travel off the beaten path, so getting somewhere to buy a part is pretty simple. I also will let several people know where I am going, and what my ETA will be.

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: carrying spares   Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:16 am

I pack clean socks,. underwear,.flashlight,.umbrella,.

If it breaks,. i buy parts and fix it,..I have bought parts and tools,. and changed a transmission in a motel parking lot,..

I used to try and guess what would fail,.  but it always tricked me,..

If i carry a spare tire,. i never get a flat,.

Back to top Go down
benn

PostSubject: Re: carrying spares   Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:22 am

i use to carry a spare tire, it was flat the only time i needed it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: carrying spares   

Back to top Go down

carrying spares
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1