GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Removing door panel while door is closed?

Go down 
+3
phantom 309
lakeffect
autoarcheologist
7 posters
AuthorMessage
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

Removing door panel while door is closed? Empty
PostSubject: Removing door panel while door is closed?   Removing door panel while door is closed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 2:36 am

Has anybody successfully removed a door panel while the door was closed on a 94-96 Roadmaster?

Someone tried to break into my RMW before I bought it and really trashed the metal around the passenger door lock. I put the repair low on my list because it wasn't an issue with remote locking.

But last week one of the rods popped loose and now the door won't open at all.

I am tempted to pop the cylinder out and see if I can fix it from the outside but I doubt I have enough room. So I really need to get the panel loose so I can reattach the rod ( and repair the wood trim on the panel and install a new speaker while it is apart).

I'm thinking I should pull all the screws then try to cut the clips off? Or should I just sawzall the damn thing and look for a replacement panel? I have a red one I could try painting with SEM.
Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Removing door panel while door is closed?   Removing door panel while door is closed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 8:15 am

I had to do something similar last spring. Move the seat all the way back and forward, angle the seat back , up and down, whatever can be done to get to the panel. Better is take it out if you can (if it's a bucket) There really aren't that many screws holding it on.

There are a few electrical connections , but they are fairly easy to pop., Usually a tab to press in.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Removing door panel while door is closed?   Removing door panel while door is closed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 11:34 am

8 inch grinder,. make a 6"x6" square hole just below the lock cylinder,.
then use woodgrain sticker to cover hole,.?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Removing door panel while door is closed?   Removing door panel while door is closed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 12:56 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
8 inch grinder,. make a 6"x6" square hole just below the lock cylinder,.
then use woodgrain sticker to cover hole,.?

Can we make this into a "sticky"?

Tom
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Removing door panel while door is closed?   Removing door panel while door is closed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 1:10 pm

There is one screw in the bottom of the panel and the screws for the pull handle the rest are plastic push "christmas trees". A panel removal tool may help you. Jeff
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Removing door panel while door is closed?   Removing door panel while door is closed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 1:28 pm

What about calling AAA. Or assuming you can get into the car through another door, drive it to an auto body shop. The last thing you want to do is damage that driver panel as they are very hard to get.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Removing door panel while door is closed?   Removing door panel while door is closed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 1:39 pm

It's the passenger side
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Removing door panel while door is closed?   Removing door panel while door is closed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 2:09 pm

If the door is badly damaged from the outside, it may be easier to get another door.

You can get a set of slim jims at Harbor Freight for a paltry sum, and get a freebee if you take a coupon with you. With a slim jim you can hook the offending lever at the latch itself. Lower the window to make it easier.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Removing door panel while door is closed?   Removing door panel while door is closed? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Ding ding ding, Fred you are brilliant. Off to Harbor Freight!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing door panel while door is closed?   Removing door panel while door is closed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing door panel while door is closed?
Page 1 of 1