GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Will these shocks fit?

Go down 
+3
200OZ
just me
autoarcheologist
7 posters
AuthorMessage
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

Will these shocks fit? Empty
PostSubject: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 11:38 pm

Here's a crazy question... I saw a set of KYB shocks, part number 344265, at a local wrecking yard I like.

I found a listing that says they fit a 3500 series Chevy truck.

If so, I would imagine they are a bit stiffer than our shocks.

Will these bolt onto the Roadmaster? If I could pick them up cheap it might be worth trying them. The KYB gasadjust shocks I just installed are no stiffer than the Monroes that came off.

Here is some fitment info I found:

http://www.partsgeek.com/j31chpk-chevrolet-c3500-shock-absorber.html?utm_source=shoppingcom&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=mc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShoppingCom&fp=pp&utm_term=Chevrolet+Shock+Absorber

Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
just me

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 1:43 pm

Suspension stiffness should come from your springs rather than your shocks. Shocks are for controlling the rebound, how quickly the bouncing stops, and they keep your tires contacting the road so you don't end up with tire cupping and loss of directional control. If the new shocks aren't doing it for you then I would suspect the springs are worn out.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 1:54 pm

I disagree.  Stiffness comes from both springs and shocks.  You're correct that shocks control rebound, and in this case they aren't controlling it enough.  If the springs were worn out the car would sag and it doesn't  Springs hold the weight.

I need stiffer shocks.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 6:03 pm

Shocks are a great way to change the way your car rides, running shocks that are designed for a 1 ton truck though? Buy the right shocks for your car, save your money a bit and get a good set too, it's worth the wait. The Monroe Severe service shock is a good stiffer shock for a good price. I personally like Bilstiens. I've had them on my wagon for 4 years now and still love them.
Back to top Go down
just me

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 6:33 pm

OK. I was thinking in terms of a lot of people think KYB shocks are much harsher riding than Monroe shocks and if yours aren't then something somewhere else would be the problem. Saw a post where someone's wife wouldn't drive his wagon because of loose steering; bad joints or idler arm can be interpreted as a mushy ride since they let the suspension move in ways it isn't supposed to.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 7:17 pm

I double checked the price of the Severe Service and they're not much more than the KYBs. I also had someone offer some used Bilsteins and Konis, both of which I hve used on other cars.

Lots of choices! That was me with the wandering front end (or rather my wife complaining about it). And I agree with her, I don't want to be towing 5500 lbs with 3" of play in the wheel, so I need to address that as well.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2015 10:19 am

Would like to hear more about the Bilsteins? I recently purchased the KYB gas adjusts and havent heard anything positive about them since. Murphys Law I guess...
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2015 10:48 am

The shock debate has gone round-and-round on here for years.

When I got my Roady it floated like a ship on rough seas.   After reading a lot I replaced the shocks with Monroe Severe Service units, and installed new Moog variable-rate rear springs.    I went from a car that floated to a car that was stiff as hell.    The coins in the change drawer under the radio jingled over every highway expansion strip.     The car actually handled great and rode dead-level, but it lost it's "Buick" ride.

After a year of stiffness and several new rattles showing up inside the car, I replaced the Monroe's with KYB Gas-A-Just shocks.    Holy cow what a difference!    It was like the roads had been re-paved in velvet, but the car still did not bob or wallow, it just rode smooth and solid.    

Have since put KYB Gas-A-Justs on my Olds Custom Cruiser and the '82 Z28.    From Rock Auto the price on there is very fair, and, to me, they are the perfect balance of sportiness and smoothness.

My 2-cents!

-Texas Mike
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2015 11:09 pm

Andebe wrote:
Would like to hear more about the Bilsteins? I recently purchased the KYB gas adjusts and havent heard anything positive about them since. Murphys Law I guess...

Lots of people swear by the Bilsteins as a firm but not harsh shock that lasts a long time, and just works.

I was driving the Roady today and on a normal road, a few bumps etc, the KYBs do fine. It's going over speedbumps and large motions (like crossing a street with a lot of crest) that seems to overpower them. I do think heavier springs would help a bit, but stiffer shocks should help too.

Luckily replacing the front shocks is about an hour job. So I can swap them out reasonably easily, I just can't afford to buy 4 pairs until I find the ones I like!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 9:08 am

autoarcheologist wrote:
I double checked the price of the Severe Service and they're not much more than the KYBs.  I also had someone offer some used Bilsteins and Konis, both of which I hve used on other cars.

Lots of choices!  That was me with the wandering front end (or rather my wife complaining about it). And I agree with her, I don't want to be towing 5500 lbs with 3" of play in the wheel, so I need to address that as well.

The play in the wheel is not the suspension. It is the steering box that needs an adjustment or replacement. You can adjust the input and output shaft to specs with an FSM. You need an adjustable spanner, hex wrench, in. lb. torque wrench, and socket to fit the input shaft.

You may also have to repair the rag joint with a kit from your local parts store.

Putting a 9C1 sway bar in the front will help the roll characteristics, and make it more stable. It is a cheap mod. Getting a 21 or 25 mm Crown Vic sway bar for the rear is another inexpensive mod that will also make the car feel more stable, especially when towing a heavy trailer. Make sure the rear bar is level when the standoffs are installed.

Do the steering first, it will make the car feel a lot better.
Back to top Go down
Shaneomac

Shaneomac

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 1:54 pm

81X11 wrote:
The shock debate has gone round-and-round on here for years.

When I got my Roady it floated like a ship on rough seas.   After reading a lot I replaced the shocks with Monroe Severe Service units, and installed new Moog variable-rate rear springs.    I went from a car that floated to a car that was stiff as hell.    The coins in the change drawer under the radio jingled over every highway expansion strip.     The car actually handled great and rode dead-level, but it lost it's "Buick" ride.

After a year of stiffness and several new rattles showing up inside the car, I replaced the Monroe's with KYB Gas-A-Just shocks.    Holy cow what a difference!    It was like the roads had been re-paved in velvet, but the car still did not bob or wallow, it just rode smooth and solid.    

Have since put KYB Gas-A-Justs on my Olds Custom Cruiser and the '82 Z28.    From Rock Auto the price on there is very fair, and, to me, they are the perfect balance of sportiness and smoothness.

My 2-cents!

-Texas Mike

Ugh just when I talked myself into the severe service shocks I see this. Now I'm back to thinking the KYB gas a just are the ones for me again. Put their struts on my bonnie before she got totaled. They were nice sporty feel. Amazon has pretty similar pricing for the 2 on the front. Prolly will go with the severe service in the rear though to hopefully stiffen it up some.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks Fred. Adjusting the steering box is top on my list, then looking at the rag joint.

I saw instructions on the Impala forum. Do you recommend removing the box from the car to do it properly? Or can I do it in the car?

I need to find a fsm.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 7:34 pm

You can do it on the car, but it is a lot easier on the bench. Try ebay for the FSM. Sometimes they have them cheap. I wrote the instructions on the ISSF directly from the FSM.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Sweet, I will find your instructions Fred. I was looking last night and ran out of time.

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will these shocks fit?   Will these shocks fit? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will these shocks fit?
Page 1 of 1