GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front Shocks

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rjathon

rjathon

Front Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Front Shocks   Front Shocks Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 5:49 pm

My 1996 Roadmaster Wagon needs new front shocks. I searched this forum and Bilsteins get great reviews. I see that they are expensive. AC Delco replacement shocks are 1/3 the price. The question is: Are the Bilsteins that much better?

Are there any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Russ
Back to top Go down

Front Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Shocks   Front Shocks Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 6:09 pm

They are good. The Monroe Severe Service are just as good, but a little bit firmer. Gabriel Ultras and KYB Gas-A-Just also have great reviews.

Any of these would be cheaper than the Bilsteins.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Front Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Shocks   Front Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 2:05 am

Koni adjustables are great too, especially if you plan on tinkering with the front springs.
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

Front Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Shocks   Front Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 9:39 pm

Today a friend helped me install Monroe Gasomatic shocks in the front. The old shocks were dead and these make a great difference. They are cheapies but they work.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Front Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Shocks   Front Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 10:13 pm

good deal!

The fronts are easy. The backs aren't as hard as some make them out to be, but no where as easy as the fronts..... I love my Monroe SS shocks.
Back to top Go down
Bobloblaw

Bobloblaw

Front Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Shocks   Front Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 10:47 pm

The backs were only tricky for me because of the way the top mount was designed.

It can be a little tricky trying to fit your hand, a nut, and a wrench in such a tight space.
I was able to use a lift and being able to stand under the car instead of laying on my back sure did help.

I used KYB gas-a-just that I got off of amazon on all 4 corners. Glad that was my first fix for my car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Shocks   Front Shocks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Shocks
Page 1 of 1