HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

experience pulling an engine from a yard

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lamune

PostSubject: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:40 am

So, as a corollary to my previous post- can anyone share any experiences/gotchas in pulling a LT1 out of a B-Body out in the open versus in the controlled conditions in a garage? I'll have to bring my own hand tools and aside from a rolling gantry I'll have no help from power tools or the friendly junkyard staff. Just me and whoever I can bring with me. Smile

Probably want to avoid unbolting stuff in a manner so things like transmissions don't fall on me, that sort of thing.

Following the procedure in the FSM seems like a good idea, with possible shortcuts taken since I don't care about collateral damage to the car or accessories.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:30 am

Power tools? You don't need no stinkin' power tools.

Seriously though. You really don't.

Biggest pain in the ass is probably going to be the bellhousing bolts while in the yard, I'd imagine? Pretty basic socket and wrench set can take care of the rest.
Back to top Go down
lamune

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:02 am

So, what I gather about this- never having done this with an automatic car- all that's involved is removing the plumbing and wiring, then separating the torque converter from the drive plate, removing the bellhousing bolts, and the two front engine mounts... then pull forward and up and get the thing out. Seems straightforward enough unless there's something I'm missing!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:28 pm

You mean like getting the radiator out of the way, and jacking up the car and crawling through oily mud to get to the rusted bolts only reachable from the bottom?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:15 am

I would pull the radiator, support etc and pull the engine and transmission as a unit. Once that is out, remove the Transmission. Keeps your butt off the ground fighting with bolts.

The cars I have seen that have had engines pulled from them did not have it done nicely but rather as quickly as possible. Lots of Hack and Slash, much like happens when you pay a yard to do the pulling.
Back to top Go down
lamune

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:52 pm

Agreed. Unfortunately someone beat me to it, I was on the way there and arrived to find the engine and trans gone already. Sad

Back to top Go down
AzDon

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:43 pm

When you get anything from a junkyard, you are paying top dollar for unknown-condition merchandise....The junkyard got the car because the last owner thought so little of it that he sold it for a scrap price! Junkyarding is for items that simply aren't available anywhere else and if they are mechanical assemblies, it can be assumed that rebuilding is necessary....
It is usually cheaper to buy a running donor car than a junkyard engine alone and, because it runs, you can do a better mechanical inspection......Radiator? Included! Battery? Included! Transmission? included! ETC ETC! You get a complete car load of spare parts which you can keep or sell! And you get to dismantle in the comfort of your own shop...with proper equipment....and call that wrecking yard to haul off the leftovers...
Donor cars are how I repower all my projects!
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:24 pm

I have had good results with junkyard engines. Make sure you put a new oil pump on it, and replace the rear seal. I got an LO5 for both of my OCCs, one with 101K and the other with 135K. Both work great. You can do your magic on the engine while it is out. If you are ambitious, hone it and put new bearings in it. A lot depends on the mileage on the engine when you get it. I should have honed my 101K engine and put new rings in it. Check the headbolts too.

If you are brutal, you can pull the engine in about a half hour. Cut everything, and pull it with the trans, then unbolt the trans with it out of the car.

If you feel the need for power tools, get an 800 W generator from Harbor Freight, and you can use almost any tool with it. It will run for four hours on a gallon of gas (50 to 1 oil). I use a light duty impact, sawzall, angle grinder, vibrator cutter, and drill.
Back to top Go down
lamune

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:57 am

Well, in this case, these guys want a flat $149 for any engine. I think $149 for a rebuildable core is a pretty damn good deal, but I suppose that's relative.

Totally agree on having a parts car. Wish I had a place to keep one.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:27 am

I've had good luck with yard motors as well. A lot of cars in the yard are bought at an auction and put out in the yard. A lost of those are good running trade-ins.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:51 pm

also, a car with body damage most likely still has a good drivetrain in it, but I've never pulled a yard motor. For some reason all the LS and LQ motors are gone when I get there....hmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Sprocket wrote:
also, a car with body damage most likely still has a good drivetrain in it, but I've never pulled a yard motor.  For some reason all the LS and LQ motors are gone when I get there....hmmmmm

You have to be quick. I see some 6.0s, and they usually are there for about 1-2 days.
Back to top Go down
lamune

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:31 pm

Fred, I always see Caddies in the yard with their Northstar 32V motors intact.

Too bad they're so different. They're easy to get.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:44 pm

The Northstars are notorious for blown head gaskets.
Back to top Go down
lamune

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Well, that probably explains why so many are there and nobody wants them Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: experience pulling an engine from a yard   

Back to top Go down

experience pulling an engine from a yard
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1