GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

sound system frustation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
legendaryRedd

legendaryRedd

sound system frustation Empty
PostSubject: sound system frustation   sound system frustation Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 9:48 am

i have an 89 custom cruiser and wanting to upgrade the sound system. problem is GM's terrible speaker location and terrible sizes 3.5 on the dash aimed at the windshield and the horrid 4x10's in the d pillars. I'm not too worried about the 4x10's but I need a better option for the fronts. I'd love some kick panel speaker pods but my scouring of the interwebs hasn't turned up anything other than some universal ones. Anyone found some? or maybe some door pods (which I'd rather avoid but they still beat the dash speakers). I'd run just a front stage and sub stage if need be, i did this in an 89 acura legend coupe and loved it.

my setup will consist of: no head unit
Clarion EQS746 pre-amp/equalizer with aux for my tablet/phone/whatever has 3.5mm jack
a/d/s PQ10 (mids/highs)
MTX RT2600 (sub)
15" sub (hopefully installed in the spare tire well)

Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: sound system frustation   sound system frustation Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 10:24 am

Sounds like alot of sub for the spare tire well...Pun intended. Smile
Back to top Go down
legendaryRedd

legendaryRedd

PostSubject: Re: sound system frustation   sound system frustation Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 12:02 pm

Andebe wrote:
Sounds like alot of sub for the spare tire well...Pun intended. Smile

aaahhh, i see what you did there. lol.
Back to top Go down
legendaryRedd

legendaryRedd

PostSubject: Re: sound system frustation   sound system frustation Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2015 6:34 pm

I found a set of kicker 3.5's that claim to take the power of my A/D/S PQ10 bridged to 2 channels. For now my system consists of:
Clarion EQS764
Kicker KSC35 3.5 2-way coax speakers
MTX RT2600
A/D/S PQ10
Alpine Type-R 15 in a crappy ported box
I have no headunit. I connect my phone/tablet to the Clarion's aux input. In the future, the cassette deck will be replaced with a 7" screen for a back up camera. The goal is get some kick panel pods made for a decent 6.5 component set.
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

PostSubject: Re: sound system frustation   sound system frustation Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 2:10 pm

FWIW making your own kick panel pods is pretty straight forward. there are a crap ton of Youtube vids out there....
Back to top Go down
legendaryRedd

legendaryRedd

PostSubject: Re: sound system frustation   sound system frustation Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 9:04 am

I figured I'd try my hand at making some kick panel pods this summer after I do my headliner. The weather here is driving me batty, it won't warm up and stay warm. I need 65+ and dry to do my headliner.
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

PostSubject: Re: sound system frustation   sound system frustation Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 9:10 am

legendaryRedd wrote:
I figured I'd try my hand at making some kick panel pods this summer after I do my headliner. The weather here is driving me batty, it won't warm up and stay warm. I need 65+ and dry to do my headliner.

WAAHHH! it was -20 for months until 3 weeks ago then within two day it went to 40. shorts and T shirt weather
Attachments
sound system frustation Attachmentsnow_n.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(15 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Back to top Go down
legendaryRedd

legendaryRedd

PostSubject: Re: sound system frustation   sound system frustation Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 10:30 am

frederickflintstone wrote:
legendaryRedd wrote:

WAAHHH! it was -20 for months until 3 weeks ago then within two day it went to 40. shorts and T shirt weather

I have no problems with the cold, my unit in the army did cold weather training in northern alsaska. I do my trim work out of my garage. Certain conditions are needed for the adhesive used for headliners it needs to be at least 65 and dry or you will be redoing it in the near future.
Back to top Go down
68GS400

68GS400

PostSubject: Re: sound system frustation   sound system frustation Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Did you get PODs done?  I installed 5 1/4 Rockford Fosgate speakers in bottom corner of my 89 Buick estate that added more mids and down low to provide big presence.  Buicks use 4 x 6 (which are now Polk) in top of dash.  These are wired in parallel with the RF and sound good with the same Polk in sail.  (Chosen because magnet size is same as 4 x 10's)
Back to top Go down
legendaryRedd

legendaryRedd

PostSubject: Re: sound system frustation   sound system frustation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 7:02 am

The kick pods were on the back burner but I'm unsatisfied with the little kickers. I'd like to get it done but I have to move from a house to an apartment and there's no way the wife is gonna let me do it insde. Finding a venue is the current issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sound system frustation   sound system frustation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

sound system frustation
Page 1 of 1