HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Big block build for the Starship

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:03 am

I got the relay installed, and, to avoid possible issues later, made a bracket to keep the upper coolant hose away from the serpentine belt. It bolts between the tensioner bracket, and the alternator bracket. It has a nice platform for the hose to rest on. I may put a rubber bushing on the top to keep the hose a little higher.

I have three things to do before Wagonfest; AC line/charge, speedometer modifier, and front tires. I am anticipating getting the speedometer corrected on Thursday, and if that is done, I will go get a couple of tires. I can not get in to the AC shop until next week.

The check list is getting shorter.

Of course something more has come up...the driver's seat has decided to wear through at the bottom rear of the seat. It can wait until after Wagonfest.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:29 pm

I got the speedo corrected. Now on to the tires and AC. I was told that I should have both fans running all the time that the AC is on. If that is so, I will need a little more powerful alternator. That is a simple swap.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:26 pm

My mom came home from the hospital today, and I did not get any time to work on the car. I may have some time tomorrow afternoon to do an oil change. I also found that the LED headlights did not work, and took them out, only to find bent pins in the connectors. I straightened them, and put the lights back in.

I may just put a second 150 Watt fan in for the secondary fan. It is a half way measure, but the original FW setup turned the 100 Watt secondary fan on when the AC was turned on. If that was good for the FW, it is good for my OCC. The second 150 Watt fan would make me want a higher amp alternator.

I found a matched set of Firestone tires for the front, but at $110 for 2 used tires vs. $160 for 2 new is a tough decision. Anybody know anything about Fuzion tires?
Back to top Go down
Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:49 pm

I believe they are a lower end,Firestone product. Ive owned a couple of sets,but cant speak to their longevity.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:57 pm

I did a search after posting, and they are made by Bridgestone. I do not know anything else either.

I changed my oil today, and put the other 150W fan in place of the 100W secondary fan, so now I have two 150W fans. I may upgrade the alternator to 100A to give me some cushion on the amperage use.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Rock Auto had some 140amp units starting around $100. AC Delco.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:36 pm

I can get a 100A unit locally in the same case size/style as my original 65W unit for $100. I usually have to re-clock the back of the case to move the + lead away from my valve cover.
Back to top Go down
occ6.6

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:08 am

bridgestone is the parent company to firestone if I remember correctly(at least up here in Canada).fusion tires are ok,tread wear rating usually lower than average.just make sure there load rating is high enough.remember up to 2 3rds of the car weight may be on the front & more during braking/cornering.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:26 am

I have used 215s on the front before, and the BB install only weighs about 50lbs. more than the small block (aluminum heads).
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:01 am

I got a pair of 215/60/17s on the front, and no more rubbing the fenders...now I can take it to the AC shop.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:50 am

After $411, I finally got the AC working in my 91 OCC. It is really crowded under the hood with the BBC in there. It will be nice cruising to Wagonfest, in Daytona Beach, FL this weekend.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:56 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
After $411, I finally got the AC working in my 91 OCC. It is really crowded under the hood with the BBC in there. It will be nice cruising to Wagonfest, in Daytona Beach, FL this weekend.

Looking forward to seeing it, I know it's been a long journey.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:19 pm

Drove to WF Florida and back without incident. AC worked, and had a good time. I got about 10 MPG for the weekend. I may put a little quieter mufflers, and over the axle pipes on it in the future. It got a little ear numbing on the trip. I think it is geared a little high for the engine. I do not come on the cam/intake until about 80mph.

I am not into beating the car, because the posi is pretty much shot, and burning a single tire does not really do anything for me. I have almost all of the parts to build another rear, so it is a near future project.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:13 am

Im sorry I missed it. Sounds like a nice shake down run.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 pm

My AC was not functioning correctly, and I thought it might be the electronic fan control, or the vacuum motor control. Well, it was neither, I forgot to plug in the vacuum line from the engine (now vacuum pump). I plugged it in, and low and behold, I have proper working AC.

I also installed 1/4 inch of shim under my throttle pedal, because the throttle plate would not open fully on my Holley MPFI. I now have about 1/2 inch more pedal travel, and the throttle plates open properly.

My twilight sentinel started to act up by turning the lights off while driving at night, and not turning the lights off when I shut the car off...fortunately I have spare parts, and dug under the dash to replace it. 91-93s have it hidden to the right of, and above the column. I have not tried it at night yet, but I parked it in the shade, and the lights came on. I think it will work correctly now.

I measured and made a cardboard template for a fan shroud because I need more cooling for the BB. The cardboard is a lot easier to modify than the aluminum, and a lot less costly to change. I got a couple of 16 inch fans, and had to make an unusual shroud. I will probably need a higher output alternator for the added draw of the motors. I will transfer it, and the small modifications to the aluminum sheet, and start cutting.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:01 am

I got the new radiator installed, and the fans with the custom shroud. I now have excellent engine cooling.

The BS never ends. The oil pressure sender decided to spring a major leak...I almost had a car fire. The leaking oil made a small flame on the exhaust pipe, but I got it out before it set the rest of the car on fire.

I have also noticed that my torque converter lockup has decided to not function. I think it is a ground problem, because the tach got an input from the turn signal. I need to get some things done, so it may have to stay that way for a little while.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:14 am

About a week before the hurricane hit, my fuel pump quit. I finally got the beast running again yesterday. I replaced the pump, rewired it with 10 ga. wire, put a new relay in and it still would not start. I also found a second relay controlling the main relay from the Holley computer. It had a burned out coil. I rechecked fuses, and found one that I had already checked was blown. I replaced that, and the engine started right up. So now, almost 6 weeks later, I finally have a running car again.

BTW both of my cars made it through the hurricane intact, only to have a street sweeper throw a stone into the windshield of my 91, and had to have the glass replaced. Prices of glass have gone up due to the hurricanes, and the replacement cost me $285 ($185 3 years ago).

Another issue popped up, and I had to change the steering intermediate shaft. The DS header is so close to it, and hot, that the heat destroyed the rubber boot around the upper joint. I put a heat shield over the entire shaft to protect the donor part from the heat.

The torque converter lockup is functioning again, and the turn signal no longer affects the tach.

I also found that the right bank was running richer than the left. I changed the orientation of the pressure line, from the right bank to the left, because the regulator is on the right bank. I should get a more even dynamic pressure between the two banks. When I did that, the fuel pressure increased to over 60 psi. I changed the regulator, and two days later the pump quit (see above). It seems like it is a never ending battle with this car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   

Back to top Go down

Big block build for the Starship
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5