HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Big block build for the Starship

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 7:44 am

The hood weighs about 15 lbs.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 am

What's the weight on that CF bullet compared to ye olde dinosaur turd?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 8:00 pm

The original hood weighs about 55 lbs.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 10:42 am

That works!!! Cool
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 10:15 pm

I am installing the hood tomorrow. I got all four pins installed today. I am making standoffs like the Plymouths and Dodges back in the mid to late 60s.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 8:57 pm

Wow, I just saw pics on Facebook. It looks fantastic!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 9:29 pm

I still need to put the grille on it. I am body mounting the grille instead of it being on the hood.

I gave the guys at the shop a little tire spinning show, but no smoke. Spins them in 1st, and probably 2nd. Spinnin' ain't winnin'. I think I have just the right amount of power, and traction.

The hydroboost brakes are really great. Best brake pedal ever, and I do not need vacuum for it to work.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2019 11:54 pm

I did some mock up attempts of the grille, and I have to mount it slightly recessed under the hood. There are two small areas that hook over the hood, when it is its correct position. That said, I could not remove the hood with the grille mounted to the body. Since I did not want to cut the corners off of the grille or hood, the alternative is to recess it about an inch. I think it will look just a little different, and a little meaner.

I put the turn signal bulb in the rear, and it is working properly now. I can drive it without getting a ticket for a burned out bulb.

I am headed to the tint shop in the morning, and then to the upholstery shop after that. I also need some aluminum angle stock, for the grille mount, and a few other odds and ends. I may work on the grille if it is not too hot.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 9:04 pm

The tint went well, but the rear glass is due soon. 

I am scheduled for the upholsterer on Monday. Seats have gone up in price to about $500 for a pair of buckets. He is doing one at a time, so I can still drive the car. I am going to install my new carpet while he has the passenger's seat out.

I started to install the grill today, and had to have the hood modified a little so that I can mount it in the correct position. I will try again in the morning, but it gets so hot, all you need to do is stand there looking at it, and you are dripping wet.

The rear doors were stuck shut yesterday, and they finally gave up, and opened after much tugging. I may put some dry lubricant on the gaskets, to keep them from sticking.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 pm

The Starship (now with warp drive) was at the trans shop for a couple of days to have second gear beefed up a little. It was missing the 1-2 shift at about 5000 RPMs. I can miss a 1-2 shift manually, I do not need an automatic to do it for me. So, I now have a stronger 1-2 shift, and my wallet is substantially lighter at the same time, so the car should go faster. 

I also have one newly reupholstered seat, and the second will be in on Friday. Again the wallet gets lighter.

I attacked the grille mount for a couple of hours today, but did not get it finished. It seems that I measured the distance for my top mounts about 1/8 inch short. There goes another couple of pieces. of scrap aluminum.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2019 2:31 pm

I got the second seat in. Looks nice, but got screwed a little on the price. I remember the guy saying $500, and when I went to pay for it, it was $580.

I got lucky, and the metal shop gave me a piece of aluminum to make the errant part. I think I saved 15 cents.

The rear quarter glass that the custom shop put in is leaking. I hope I can get it fixed in about a week, I am so over the car sitting months on end.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2019 7:46 pm

Today I made matching triangulation pieces for the grille mount. Now to install the grille, and further triangulate, so it does not shake, and scratch something. The grille install is just about done.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 9:49 am

Here are some pics I took.Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 20190912
Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 20190911
Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 20190910
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 9:56 am

The paint looks real good Fred! I like the black grill, I think I would paint the screws holding the grill on, black.

Tom
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 10:07 am

Looks like a million bucks!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 10:20 am

Of course someone would notice the screws were not painted. I just did not get around to painting the screws yet. It has some other incidentals to take care of as well.

I should have a couple of pics under the hood after this weekend.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Looking good!
Back to top Go down
dmg4

dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Quote :
Of course someone would notice the screws were not painted.

No worries.  I got it.

Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Presen12
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 pm

First thing I saw were those darn screws.

Looking good, Fred.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 9:17 pm

I was going to adjust the grille by removing them, and I did not want to paint them, then chip the paint, and have to paint them again. I figured out how to adjust the grille without removing them, so I can go ahead and paint them.

If I make another hood some day, I will make it to mount on hinges. It is labor intensive to remove the hood by myself. I can lift and move it easily, but have to protect the body around it, because it likes to slide around like it is on ball bearings, and heads straight for something it can scratch.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 9:24 pm

I was at the Dupont Registry Cars and Coffee this morning. I took pictures of the engine with the hood on stilts. Soon to come is an oil catch can for the PCV system. The grille is now body mounted. I think I would make a hood with hinges, should I need to make another one. I also would use a higher temp resin, because of some issues I have with the current hood.Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Starsh11
Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Starsh12
Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Starsh10
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 9:26 pm

One more picture.Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Starsh13
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 8:14 am

Looks great Fred! Cool
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2019 10:42 am

Looking good,Fred. Maybe some Oldsmobile Rocket emblems for under the hood?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2019 6:43 pm

I had to replace the battery. The body shop did not disconnect it, and it lost a cell. I also had to replace the passenger's side marker, because one specific person at the body shop is too rough on the parts. Fortunately I had a spare, and can fix the broken one.

I did a minor adjustment on the grille, and it fits even better than it did. I need to fix my windshield washer. The motor runs, but nothing comes out of the sprayers. I am going to pull one, and see if it sprays without the wiper hose hooked up.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2019 9:27 pm

I fixed the windshield washers...the hoses were hooked up to the wrong pumps.

I finally got around to checking the tailgate. The body shop did not plug the connectors for the gate into the harness connectors. Easy fix, but it should have been done by the body shop. I also installed the tailgate interior.

I installed a catch can in the PCV system to keep oil out of the intake manifold. It is a nice mod, cheap and easy. I had to make a bracket to hold the can. I put a hose and valve on the bottom, so that I can drain it without taking the can apart. It sits between the overflow tank and the AC accumulator.

Soon it will be time to install the new carpet. An oil change is in the near future...8 quarts.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Latest engine compartment pics, and front on viewBig block build for the Starship - Page 6 2019_f10
Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Engine11
Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Engine10
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Part 2
Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Engine12
Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Engine13
Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Engine14
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big block build for the Starship   Big block build for the Starship - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big block build for the Starship
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Member Projects-
Jump to: