GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Will wheel adapters work?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
welkiemike

Will wheel adapters work? Empty
PostSubject: Will wheel adapters work?   Will wheel adapters work? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 1:03 am

I'm fairly new and this may have been covered, but I have
a question.
I found a nice set of chrome wheels with baby moon hub
caps and like new tires at a great price. The only problem is
that they are the older 5x4.75 bolt pattern. I've located
wheel adapters to fit the 5x5 pattern on my Roadmaster
wagon . Will they work on my Roady?
Thanks;
Mike
Back to top Go down
welkiemike

PostSubject: Re: Will wheel adapters work?   Will wheel adapters work? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 1:23 am

I should also mention that these are off a 1965
Impala.
Mike
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Will wheel adapters work?   Will wheel adapters work? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 7:34 am

Hi Mike

Don't have an answer for you, but someone will. Stock wheels for a 65 Chevy would be 14".

Ever run into the Statler Brothers in Staunton?

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Will wheel adapters work?   Will wheel adapters work? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 8:34 am

The concern is the offset. You need to check the offset of the wheels you are considering, and compare it with the offset, and thickness of the adapter. A half inch difference to the outside is probably acceptable. Do the wheels fit over the front brake calipers? The fronts may interfere with the top of the wheel opening as well. If the fronts are much farther out, they will put a lot more stress on the steering components, especially the tie rods.
Back to top Go down
welkiemike

PostSubject: Re: Will wheel adapters work?   Will wheel adapters work? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 11:30 am

I've run into one of the Staler Bros. at the grocery store. They're all retired now and no longer record.Anyway,I'll have to check the offset. Also these are 15" wheels.
Thanks;
Mike
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

PostSubject: Re: Will wheel adapters work?   Will wheel adapters work? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 10:30 pm

When you figure out your offset/back space check out http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp. It helped me when I was considering camaro wheels with the 5x4.75 pattern. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
The Stickman

The Stickman

PostSubject: Re: Will wheel adapters work?   Will wheel adapters work? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 6:19 pm

I agree with the others. I see no problems in using adapters as a general practice. But you have to do your homework and take lots of measurements. Use the site The Norm posted as it is a big help. See it doesn't just matter if the adapter works for the bolt pattern but also if the wheel is in the right position inside the wheel well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will wheel adapters work?   Will wheel adapters work? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will wheel adapters work?
Page 1 of 1