GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RMW Air ride

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sdstick

sdstick

RMW Air ride Empty
PostSubject: RMW Air ride   RMW Air ride Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 9:04 am

Anyone remember the thread that showed the wiring for the air ride system?
I want to put a manual overide switch & cant find the thread anywhere
Thanks & yes...search fail...
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy

RMW Air ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: RMW Air ride   RMW Air ride Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 10:58 am

What are you trying to accomplish? Being able to manually switch on the compressor to raise the rear?

There two switching wires to the relay on the side of the compressor are a small orange one and a small yellow one. Add a switch to ground one and power the other and it'll kick the relay on. Be sure to get the small orange wire as the large orange wire is the main power to the relay. Black with green stripe in the relay is power out to the compressor. The black wire in the main harness is the compressor ground.

However, it won't be easy to add a manual stitch and also retain the automatic feature (I'd that's what you're trying to do.) The differential switch had two sets of contacts. The low set turns the compressor on while the suspension is compressed long enough and the high set switches the dump solenoid in the compressor when the suspension is above normal ride height for a period of time. You can pump all the air pressure you want into the system, but if the diff switch is still active, it'll dump the excess pressure about 25 seconds later.

I've been working on my auto leveling system for the past couple weeks and I've learned a lot about them.  I've made a few discoveries that you guys might find interesting, but I'm going to hold off on posting until after I test the solution.

AzDon likes this post

Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

RMW Air ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: RMW Air ride   RMW Air ride Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 10:26 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I'm trying to figure out the circuitry
I'd be happy with an auto (uses all existing control) & a bypass manual, that lets me decide
So I need to know the operation sequence
What you've told me may be enough ...gotta wrap my head around it
Saw another post (maybe the sticky?) that gave me switch wiring
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy

RMW Air ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: RMW Air ride   RMW Air ride Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 10:55 pm

You'd need to put a manual switch in the circuit from the diff switch back to the compressor. I don't know which would be easier, tapping into the rear switch, or cutting into the orange and white wires that go into the top of the compressor head. Those are the ones that control the dump solenoid.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

RMW Air ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: RMW Air ride   RMW Air ride Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2022 5:31 pm

I can see that this thread is very old, but I'd like to add info in hopes that others might be able to give me some clarity....
I can see that powering the compressor motor requires a fat positive connection to the fat orange wire and with the yellow relay wire grounded and the small orange relay wire powered, the fat green to the motor is energized and the compressor runs..... the air release solenoid is operated by orange and white and assuming that orange is (again) hot positive, I'm guessing the white wire gets grounded to operate that solenoid.....
The orange wires and the yellow and white all come from the leveling switch which also has a pink/black (usually power) and a black (usually chassis ground) coming out of it..

I attempted powering the switch and attempted to find a range where continuity is provided between orange and either white or yellow..... NO LUCK!!

I opened up the switch to look at it's function and......The incoming connector pins are on the back side of a PC board encapsulated in clear epoxy..... The switch itself is a wheel with windows that apparently uses a light beam......
Basically, I'm unable to determine if the white wire for the dump solenoid is to be grounded to make the release solenoid operate and if it's by regular 12v or if it's some lower voltage deal.....If I burn the solenoid, it will render the compressor useless, so I'm afraid to experiment with 12 volts...
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
95wagon

95wagon

RMW Air ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: RMW Air ride   RMW Air ride Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2022 6:11 pm

Yes you
Ground yellow to go up
Ground white to go down

Likely the reason your test failed was the height sensors have elaborate  timers , time outs and resets.
To make more interesting the programing is different year to year.
Case in point, if I leave my 95 with wheels dangling and ignition on by mistake for an extended time the system  will shut down .RMW Air ride 16411610
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

RMW Air ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: RMW Air ride   RMW Air ride Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2022 8:57 am

I scavenged the compressor and switch from a 91 wagon that I scrapped.....
I've put power to the compressor and know it works....
Since the release solenoid is powered by a 12v orange wire, it likely operates by unreduced 12v by simple grounding.....
I'm using this stuff to operate air shocks on the front of my 69 van and I intend to operate manually with a toggle switch....I guess I'll be able to operate with a two-pole momentary contact switch
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Sponsored content

RMW Air ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: RMW Air ride   RMW Air ride Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RMW Air ride
Page 1 of 1