GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Plastic trim re-do.

Go down 
+5
oldfriendabb
JaySS
Fred Kiehl
Wagoninabox
VT Wagon
9 posters
AuthorMessage
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Plastic trim re-do. Empty
PostSubject: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 8:16 pm

Several lengths of trim on the wagon are pealing. I want to get it done quickly with out removing the trim.
I ended up scraping the plastic finish off with a utility knife blade (no handle).  Sanded it with 100 & 210 grit by hand and using a Krylon paint.  It looks respectable. From 20 feet it is imperceptible.

Plastic trim re-do. DSCN3016-M

Plastic trim re-do. DSCN3045-M

Plastic trim re-do. DSCN3048-M

The back section, all preped.
Plastic trim re-do. DSCN3047-M

Plastic trim re-do. DSCN3049-M

The other side needs the same front and rear section done.
Should kee me busy for the next couple of nights.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 1:57 am

Very Nice job! Did you spray some clear coat over it? It will help the finish last longer.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 9:08 am

You should have put a coat of zinc chromate primer on the aluminum before the finish coat. Zinc chromate is one of the few paints that will stick reliably to aluminum. It is a hideous green, but it sticks, and you can not see it after the finish coat.

Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 9:48 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You should have put a coat of zinc chromate primer on the aluminum before the finish coat. Zinc chromate is one of the few paints that will stick reliably to aluminum. It is a hideous green, but it sticks, and you can not see it after the finish coat.

There is no Aluminum. My '96 has plastic trim covered in a faux wood stick-on wood pattern.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 9:55 pm

The upper trim is aluminum. There is no plastic except on the beltline trim of the sedan.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 7:03 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The upper trim is aluminum. There is no plastic except on the beltline trim of the sedan.

All the bits I have sanded and painted in this thread are plastic.  I wish they were aluminum. I would be doing a brushed finish if it were.

On to the rear...
Plastic trim re-do. DSCN3051-M
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 8:32 am

There is a 96 RMW in the local yard. I will go check the trim on the quarter panels. If it is all plastic, I will agree with you, but I do not know why they would make a separate end, instead of molding it in one piece.
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 11:48 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:

VT Wagon wrote:
All the bits I have sanded and painted in this thread are plastic.  I wish they were aluminum. I would be doing a brushed finish if it were.

Fred speaks the truth. The end caps are plastic, but the trim itself is a pre-coated aluminum sheet that was then cut & formed into the trim sections.

Again, the “Search Google” button is your friend. There is no shortage of threads showing the construction of the upper trim and how it can be polished out:

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t508-trim-removal-and-polish-from-other-site?

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t2270-one-set-of-polished-woody-trim-for-sale-1995-96-roadmaster-wagon

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t1258-my-lame-dcm

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t8906p20-new-roadmaster-is-coming-along-slowly-but-surely

Take a real good look down the length of the strips, there will almost assuredly be some dents you hadn’t noticed before. Just finding faded and/or peeling, but not dented upper trim to paint, polish or rewrap is a lot harder than you might imagine.

-  J

Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 5:28 pm

Well ok. I have scraped and sanded the 'wood' off and never got to the aluminum.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 5:39 pm

I pulled one off of a 96 RMW in the yard today, and it is aluminum, except for the end caps.
Back to top Go down
oldfriendabb

oldfriendabb

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 10:07 pm

What was the color name you used there?
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 7:58 am

oldfriendabb wrote:
What was the color name you used there?

Plastic trim re-do. DSCN3050-M
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 10:29 am

Is this still holding up well?
Back to top Go down
voxkd

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 12:20 pm

I had thought they were plastic as well, but when I saw Rutledge Woods RM on TV with polished trim, I contacted him and he said he polished the stock trim...interesting.
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 3:48 pm

looks great no matter what it is made of. Nice job VT!!!
Back to top Go down
bocoogto

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 5:39 pm

Looks great! My front spears are the only area beginning to peel. I have a spare pair--hoping there is a way to match the rest of the trim. That would also require faux wood graining. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 8:56 pm

Dry brush light brown on top of the tan paint and make it streaky, then clearcoat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plastic trim re-do.   Plastic trim re-do. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plastic trim re-do.
Page 1 of 1