HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

aftermarket speaker playing at low volume

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: aftermarket speaker playing at low volume   Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:31 am

Today I finally got around to starting the door repair on the 95 caprice.  It needed a new window roller, and the stock speaker hasn't been playing since I bought it.   I bought some pioneer TS-G4644R 4x6" speakers on clearance at a local store.  I realize 4x6 aren't the best in terms of sound quality but I really just wanted to get the speaker playing.  They are a 4 Ohm speaker.

Once the door was off, I replaced both window rollers, changed the stock speaker out and installed the "armrest savers" from NO DUBS on ISSF (neat product).  I only did the DS, and then tested all the switches in the armrest plus the radio to make sure everything was connected properly.  

The OEM headunit / radio now plays at very low volume on all speakers.  I used fade and balance to move the sound around and it's faint everywhere.  At least the front DS is now playing.  I'm confindent I didn't wire it backwards, since the kit came with 2 different size spade connectors.  The small size had the black stripe on both sets, so I used that as the (-).  

Is it faint because my fronts are mismatched or because the OEM headunit is not powerfull enough for ANY 4Ohm speakers ?  I have one 4 and one 8 Ohm in the front now.  Any chance the problem will go away if I do the PS tomorrow, or is it more likely the volume will still be low with the 2nd Pioneer speaker installed, requiring a better head unit ?  These speakers aren't super powerful.  They are 30W nominal.  I have an alpine headunit in the garage, I just didn't plan on installing it any time soon.  

Thanks

PS:  someone had tried to fix the window before.  The holes in the steel part of the door were mangled, and the track had about 2 tablespoons of lithium grease inside.

Last edited by jasonlachapelle on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andebe

PostSubject: Re: aftermarket speaker playing at low volume   Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:57 am

I would like to know some more about the armrest savers... scratch
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: aftermarket speaker playing at low volume   Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:36 pm

They are basically a small, custom cut aluminium plate that goes in the armrest hole on the Caprice (only). Remove the 2 screws, drop in the plate and screw it back in.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=244137
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: aftermarket speaker playing at low volume   Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:02 pm

Well it turns out the stock speakers were 4 ohms as well. I replaced the passenger side one (did the window rollers at the same time) and now the volume is back to normal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: aftermarket speaker playing at low volume   

Back to top Go down

aftermarket speaker playing at low volume
Page 1 of 1