HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The yokes's on me (pictures galore)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Empty
PostSubject: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 11:35 pm

After the miserable fail replacing my pinion seal I decided to get the proper tools and "do it right".

I present to you J-22388, the pinion seal setting tool for the 8.5" rear.

The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Wp_20120

Here's the business end of the tool. There's a recessed area for the seal and an outer lip that stops against the diff case.

The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Wp_20121

With the seal installed on the tool, you can see that the seal itself is recessed into the tool.

The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Wp_20122

Which leads to this when the tool is actually used:

The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Wp_20123

This just doesn't look right. The seal I pulled out was recessed into case a bit, whereas obviously the seal is now sitting slightly raised from the lip of the case.

So, possibility ensues

#1: This is normal and I'm done. The seal I pulled out was just installed wrong. Stop being an idiot and put it back together.

#2: The tool I have is wrong (FSM is wrong? wouldn't be the first time), the tool is broken, or the tool is missing a part.

The other tool (J23911) for the 7 5/8" rear would be dramatically different. I have the correct seal for that rear (parts catalog was wrong, I ordered the same wrong seal- twice. Ugh! Anyone need one or two?) That seal is radically different, it has a metal outer ring the sits flush with the diff case (like the trans output shaft seal) and the yoke diameter is a lot smaller. I couldn't get the yoke around that seal without tearing it, so that's probably not the issue- I don't think it's the wrong one of the two possible tools.

Anyone know what may be going on here before I get angsty and bash this thing into the the position it was in before with a bigass socket? I got a set of bigass sockets from Harbor Freight and I'm not afraid to use them.

Also the FSM references special GM lubricant # 1050169 for the yoke and seal lips. I searched online and came up empty. When I went to the dealer today to get a new pinion seal I asked about this lubricant, and after some searching and talking amongst themselves, the guys at the dealer said they use transmission assembly lube in place of this type of lubricant, and they get it from the O'Reily Auto across the street. So now I have an $8 tub of the "green goo" stuff. I thought I'd pass that along and also see if anyone has a better suggestion.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect
lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 8:18 am

I think my wife keeps one of those near the bed.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 10:45 am

^^^Does it have to be cleaned in Mineral Spirits too?^^^
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 11:24 am

Did you replace the yoke with the updated version (one with the triple seal)? If not...check your yoke for a groove....chances are you have one and it will still leak even with the new seal.

I'm changing one on a buddy's Roadmaster this weekend actually. Here is some info from my OCC swap a while back.

http://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t3295-updated-the-yoke-on-the-occ?highlight=yoke

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 11:54 am

Smile

Chris, the old yoke has no groove in it. Does yours have the 7 or 8 inch ring gear? What did the seal look like before you pulled it out?

Also if the seal that came with that kit has an outer, metal lip then that may explain why the seal I have doesn't sit properly.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 2:59 pm

I have the larger carrier (2.93+ vs the 2.56). Is that what you mean? I thought all 91-96 wagons would have the same yoke/rear end housing?

I admit, I am not an expert....BUT I can take some detailed pics for you Sat when I change one to show both seals and such. His is still original from the factory. It looks like you put the updated seal on from your pics (which might leak since the yoke is not the updated one?)

Chris
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Yeah it's a 2.93. The pictures I see of this triple-lip version of the yoke and seal are different. The seal has a metal flange that would butt up against the carrier. This tool would seat such a seal.

I'm not sure what the problem is here. I don't think what I have right now is correct. The tool is doing as it was apparently designed. The part number of the seal I am using is correct according to the GM dealer parts catalog.

I think someone was in there before I opened it up. There were tool marks visible. So what I saw may not have been correct.

There is no internal lip for the seal to stop against, you can drive it in until it smashes against the bearing. (been there, done that)

Well seeing as how I don't want to do this again I went ahead and ordered the yoke set. I think I'll have more luck with that.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 9:53 pm

looks like the wrong seal to me,..

should have a metal lip around the outside you bury it in the rear end till the li[p is flush

the rubber seal lip is facing oiut,. it should be facing in,..

A gm 10 bolt rear end is a pretty simple piece of equipment?

Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Nick, precisely. I don't know why this is so hard. The seal you see there matches the seal that came out of the rear precisely. The parts catalog says it's right. Everything I'm looking at in reality says it's wrong.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 12:28 am

Chris, thanks for the tip. I got the yoke kit today and installed it. Hopefully in the morning the underside of the diff will still be dry!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 1:55 pm

Gladyou got the kit.  This is what the old seal looked like.  The new one has the metal lip like Nick said.

The yokes's on me (pictures galore) 3E15D84D-BFC4-4D4E-BFC7-8A2891F1B4B0_zpsxk9qbwqr
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 3:25 pm

That's helpful, because the part number on that seal is the same as the one I got. No idea why the tool seats it as I posted, or if that's intentional or not.

The new yoke kit seems to have so far stopped the leaking. I wasn't able to accurately validate if the bearing pre-load was correct or not, but I put the nut back on with the same exposed thread count and position as best I could.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 4:39 pm

That's all I do honestly. Count the threads...take a pic...make it match. Lol This was my third Bbody doing this with.

Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 6:29 pm

Ok, we'll see how it goes. It's not making horrible noises- yet anyway.

It's kind of funny that the seal I replaced was set into the housing a bit (maybe a sixteenth), the one you replaced is flush, and with the official GM tool it sits raised. Who's right? We may never know...
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 11:47 am

acceptable margin of play / variance?
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 2:30 am

I was under there today. I didn't notice any play at the companion yoke, everything seems tight and it's bone dry back there now. So far so good!
Back to top Go down
Shaneomac

Shaneomac

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 3:03 pm

Good to know looks like I will be ordering parts for this and the trans output seal soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The yokes's on me (pictures galore)   The yokes's on me (pictures galore) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The yokes's on me (pictures galore)
Page 1 of 1