GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Blower continues to run with key off

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
voxkd

Blower continues to run with key off Empty
PostSubject: Blower continues to run with key off   Blower continues to run with key off Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 2:02 pm

I was driving down the road, all fine...(fan at about 3/4 speed) heard the fan speed up. Did not think much of it. Got to my destination and turned the car off, and blower kept running. All controls on the dash seem to work, but NOTHING shuts the fan off. I pulled the orange wire lead to the resistor on the fan under the dash and disabled the fan. Key on or off, unit on or off, reconnecting it makes the blower run.

Is this likely to be the resistor? What if I replace the resistor and have the same issue? Anyone else ever have this prob?

This is a 95 Roadmaster Estate, 5.7.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Blower continues to run with key off   Blower continues to run with key off Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Blower continues to run with key off 12368388

its usually this module,..under dash by the fan,.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Blower continues to run with key off   Blower continues to run with key off Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 10:15 pm

If you have manual AC it is the resistor. If you have automatic climate control, the unit is not a resistor, it is a transistorized controller. You have to replace the correct component. You can not use the resistor unit if you have the automatic system. There is a substantial difference in price for the controller.

I hope you did not pull the orange wire out of the connector. The connector is easy enough to remove without damaging anything.
Back to top Go down
voxkd

PostSubject: Re: Blower continues to run with key off   Blower continues to run with key off Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Thanks! YES, just pulled the connector intact. Ordered the part, will be here in AM, pricier than the basic. Did find it on Amazon cheaper, but will remember that the next time. Will likely replace the blower motor while in there, since there is speculation that a failing motor will make the module fail quickly again, and the motor itself is not that pricey. Hope all is well after the part is replaced. THANKS...will report back my results tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Blower continues to run with key off   Blower continues to run with key off Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 5:45 am

I haven't seen a roady with manual a/c yet,..?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Blower continues to run with key off   Blower continues to run with key off Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 7:36 am

The aftermarket fans are short, and will have less airflow because of leakage between the fan and airbox. The blower motor will not damage the module. I would not replace the fan unless it is not working. They usually quit when the brushes wear out. If you can get a good used one, it will serve you better than a new one.
Back to top Go down
voxkd

PostSubject: Re: Blower continues to run with key off   Blower continues to run with key off Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 9:19 am

THANKS!!
Back to top Go down
voxkd

PostSubject: Re: Blower continues to run with key off   Blower continues to run with key off Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 12:22 pm

Replaced module this AM and all is back to normal. Leaving fan alone for now. Mechanic friend says he may be able in the future to replace motor only and not the cage of the fan if it becomes an issue. THANK YOU!!!!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Blower continues to run with key off   Blower continues to run with key off Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 1:29 pm

The fan can not be move to another brand of motor, and the motor is not rebuildable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blower continues to run with key off   Blower continues to run with key off Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blower continues to run with key off
Page 1 of 1