GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transmission Problems

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

Transmission Problems Empty
PostSubject: Transmission Problems   Transmission Problems Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 9:16 am

Hey guys, I know it's been a while since I've been on, but you know, life and stuff! Anyway, I have a problem that I'm hoping one of you B-Body geniuses can solve for me.

A few days ago, we were driving around town, and when I took off from a stoplight, the car was real sluggish. I determined immediately that I wasn't in first gear. Anyway, we stopped at a store, and the first thing I did, was check the fluid, and it was OK. When we got out of the store, I started it up, and it took right off in first gear, but when we got to a stop light and took off, then it started off in second gear again. That happened a few more times, going to a few stores. Then, on the way home, I must have stopped, then took off like 20 times, and each time it went through all the gears and the TC locked up. So, OK. We were planning on taking our boat up to Wisconsin the next day, and the car, and boat needed gas, so I hooked up the boat, and took it to the gas station, with no problems at all!

Then, the next day, I had to meet a friend on the way up, as we were taking him with. The car ran great until we picked him up, then acted up again. But, this time we were on the highway, and I could tell the engine was revving way too high, like it wasn't in overdrive. When I put the selector in third, no down shift. So, I accessed the rpm mode on the climate control, and saw that it was turning like 2700 rpm at 70, instead of 1800! WOW!! I never saw any smoke, or felt any slippage coming from the trans, so I was quite sure that it has to be electrical or something. Anyway, did our thing with the boat, and when we left with the boat, everything was fine! I was in overdrive, with lock up, and the tack showed 1800 at 70! We stopped to get dinner, but when we left, it acted up again! All the way back 2700 rpm at 70, and you could see the gas gauge going down! Hell I could have taken my '77 LTD, with the C6 and probably gotten the same, if not maybe a little better mileage! On the way back, my buddy looked it up on the internet, and saw this:

http://www.twincharlotte.com/transmission-repair-blog/bid/28391/30-Common-4L60E-Transmission-Problems-Repair-Charlotte-NC

I was really hoping that it was number 4, so I stopped at an O'Reillys on the way home, and got a new TPS, and even installed it in the parking lot, with their tools, which was almost non existant! Anyway, that did not solve the problem, as I was in third on the highway again going home.
So, since you guys live and breathe these things, got any ideas? I love my wagon, and even knicknamed it the "Hot Rod"!

Thanks, John
Back to top Go down
http://www.lubedealer.com/nielsen
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Problems   Transmission Problems Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 11:03 am

307 with "big cam" I like your sense of humor. What a Face Sounds like a good time to check the budget for a rebuild for the HOT ROD. Maybe a few upgrades?
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Problems   Transmission Problems Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 11:24 am

Andebe wrote:
307 with "big cam" I like your sense of humor. What a Face Sounds like a good time to check the budget for a rebuild for the HOT ROD. Maybe a few upgrades?

Well, "big cam" for that year, and engine! LOL! Bigger than the regular 307. Maybe an extra 10 HP?

John
Back to top Go down
http://www.lubedealer.com/nielsen
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Problems   Transmission Problems Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 5:37 pm

one of the shift solenoids naybe bad,.or has a bad connection,. that puts the trans into limp which is 2nd gear only,..

for s+g check the wire harness connector on the trans,. make sure its firmly in there,..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Problems   Transmission Problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transmission Problems
Page 1 of 1