GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Smith

Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice Empty
PostSubject: Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice   Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 10:51 am

I decided to tempt fate and run my stock '94 Caprice at Atco Dragway's Friday night street racing event. With 132,200 miles and very likely never been wrung out like I do, I was a bit unsure if this was a good idea Rolling Eyes  
Gave her a good bath and headed to the track. Got there at 4:15 and was the first of two to race. First pass was the best and it even beat my Roady's quickest time.
Not bad considering that there was just under a half tank of gas and those many miles. Wasn't trying to "nail" the tree, my best reaction time of four runs made was a .268 , meh.
Trap speed was so close to the Buick's best. Don't see the need to race her anymore now that she has shown me what she can do. Plan is to "do up" the Buick over the next 6 months with engine and drive train performance upgrades as well as all body and paint work. Caprice will be the nice but "slow" daily driver.

Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice 100_2913

Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice 100_2914

Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice 100_2917
Back to top Go down
GSBULLDOG

GSBULLDOG

PostSubject: Re: Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice   Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 8:37 pm

Thats not to bad , seems like the wagon did you proud .
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice   Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 10:09 pm

I guess anytime you can drag race a vehicle that's stock (wheels and tires are stock size) and the proven results are right where they should be for a new one, then both machine and operator should be commended , especially when the machine is almost 22 years old and has over 132K miles. Heck, it got me back home and did 50 miles today with NO issues as a result of last nights punishment.
Guess this one is worthy of more of my time, energy and money. So far, she's a keeper Smile
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice   Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 1:12 pm

Impressive for a stock vehicle,when I get my Roady completed I would like to
make a few runs with it also. I live fairly close to Atco, haven't been there in years,
its know as a pretty fast track,being close to sea level. Is the motor and exhaust
completely stock,or have you done a couple of mods. Are you going to rebuild the motor before you start modding it? ed
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice   Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 6:42 pm

My '94 Caprice has ALL stock exhaust (way too quiet!), engine, air filter, rear, etc. It's a tow package car with factory posi and 2.93 gears.
Except for replacing the stock mufflers with some new Flowmaster 40s and perhaps some fresh plugs and wires, it'll remain as it is.
My '96 Roadmaster wagon was taken off the road a few months ago when I got the Chevy all legal. The Roady is scheduled to receive some much needed TLC in the form of new distributor, water pump, plug wires, headers, Flowmaster 40s, 3.93 posi and ECU upgrade.
Then I'll take care of all body imperfections and give her a total paint job.
That should keep me busy for a while Neutral
Back to top Go down
cjweinga

PostSubject: Re: Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice   Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Really makes me curious what mine will do. It has headers, no cats, 2.5" mufflers and 3.73s.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice   Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2015 12:39 pm

cjweinga wrote:
Really makes me curious what mine will do.  It has headers, no cats, 2.5" mufflers and 3.73s.

What year wagon? Are you close to a drag strip?
Back to top Go down
cjweinga

PostSubject: Re: Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice   Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2015 12:41 pm

Steve Smith wrote:
cjweinga wrote:
Really makes me curious what mine will do.  It has headers, no cats, 2.5" mufflers and 3.73s.

What year wagon? Are you close to a drag strip?

It's a '94. Yeah I am am, I just have not had a chance to go. I think the local track is open for the next two weekends before closing for the winter but I don't have the time right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice   Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Last night's 1/4 mile dash with the Caprice
Page 1 of 1