GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transmission issues in my 94 RMW

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
roadmasterBlue

Transmission issues in my 94 RMW Empty
PostSubject: Transmission issues in my 94 RMW   Transmission issues in my 94 RMW Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2015 9:54 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I started to notice what felt like the engine surging a little, kind of like the engine was revving up and down. It happened a few times and then stopped. At that point it really felt like it was somehow the engine acting up, but a couple of days later, it started to feel more like the transmission was slipping and I could hear kind of a medium-high pitch whine coming from somewhere under the car. The fluid level seemed fine and color appeared OK. I decided not to drive it anymore until I get a chance to have it checked out. Luckily I have a second vehicle I can use in the meantime. I was going to take it to my mechanic this week, so I started her up and took it out for a short drive, just to see how it was going to act on the trip over. Within less than a mile, I felt that slipping again and decided to turn around and take it home, planning to have it towed to my guy instead.

When I turned into a driveway and went to back out - nothing. No reverse at all. I shut the car off and let it sit for maybe 5-10 minutes, started it up and reverse now worked as normal. This must mean something. This also happened the last day I drove it before today. The slippage started, I pulled over, shut it off for a few minutes and then started again and everything was normal. Does this make any sense. She's got 145k on her and has been and still is a beautiful wood-delete wagon. I just changed the opti a few weeks ago and was looking forward to another 100k miles .

Do those symptoms mean anything?

If the transmission needs a rebuild, any idea what the cost would be?

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Transmission issues in my 94 RMW   Transmission issues in my 94 RMW Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2015 10:10 pm

I just had a 4L60E rebuilt and modified for $1250 along with the removal and reinstall.  Now my symptoms were very different and there was a broken planetary gear set.  Mine was also upgraded to 4L65 specs and had the shifts improved too.  At first guess it sounds like your clutches are just worn out which requires a full disassembly anyway.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Transmission issues in my 94 RMW   Transmission issues in my 94 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2015 8:22 am

At a guess, I'd say cracked sunshell, which means full rebuild time. For a few bucks more than the stock shell, you can put a Sonnax "Smartshell" in there for longevity. In between stock and the Smartshell in both terms of performance and price, there's also one called "The Beast". I would also look for an upgraded 3-4 clutch pack, a Corvette or aftermarket 2-4 servo and a Transgo SK shift kit.

If you are contemplating performance mods to the engine, then a five-pinion rear planetary, a sleeved and reinforced input drum and a hardened input shaft would be worthy of consideration as well. With a Transgo HD2 kit instead of the SK kit.

Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: Transmission issues in my 94 RMW   Transmission issues in my 94 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2015 6:56 pm

Sounds like the pump is failing and/or a bad sunshell. Out of curiosity when was the last time the fluid/filter was changed? I would bet on a trans rebuild. BuickWagon nailed it re modifications to discuss with whatever transmission shop you pick...and the price stated by Stewzer55 is about right...actually you could expect to spend up to $1500 to have the trans rebuilt with removal and installation. If you don't already have a deeper trans pan and/or an auxiliary cooler now would be the time to have those installed. Depending on your driving style and intended use of the Wagon...now would also be the time to toss in a mild performance converter.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Transmission issues in my 94 RMW   Transmission issues in my 94 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2015 8:03 pm

Since you said the fluid level is ok, it sounds like a pump failure. Don't drive the car. It's not getting better. You're looking at either a rebuild or R&R with a used trans.

I've had a pump failure as well. I lost all gears about 4 miles after it started making the whining sound.

good luck.

where are you located ?
Back to top Go down
roadmasterBlue

PostSubject: Re: Transmission issues in my 94 RMW   Transmission issues in my 94 RMW Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 4:52 am

Thanks for the help. I'm near Melbourne florida
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission issues in my 94 RMW   Transmission issues in my 94 RMW Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transmission issues in my 94 RMW
Page 1 of 1