GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

brake bleeding

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
papa

brake bleeding Empty
PostSubject: brake bleeding   brake bleeding Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 3:38 pm

The left rear wheel cylinder leaked on my 91 Caprice wagon and emptied the master cylinder reservoir. I replaced both rear cylinders and the rear shoes. Now it's time to bleed the air out. I get almost nothing at the rear bleeders so I suppose I will have to bleed the master cylinder first and work toward the back. Any tips? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

brake bleeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake bleeding   brake bleeding Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 6:48 pm

fill master cyl,. undo both rear bleeders,. go for lunch,. see how fluid you have dripping out when you get back,.

If nothing,. close dr side bleeder open pass side,. put your finger over bleeder,. have someone slowly
(2 secs per stroke) pump the pedal,. your finger will acr as a one way valve,. air out, not back in,..

when you get fluid,. bleed as normal,..
Back to top Go down
papa

brake bleeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake bleeding   brake bleeding Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 7:26 am

I found the problem. Now trying to figure out the solution. The new cylinder on the drivers side failed. Actually one piston was pushed out of the cylinder when I pulled the drum back off. I thought maybe that I didn't get the pushrod into the notch where it fits into the shoe. Now I don't think that was the problem.I reassembled it and replaced the fluid soaked shoes. I then bled the system and all seemed well for a short time then the passenger side did the same . I don't understand how the pistons can move far enough to come out of the cylinder. The replacement cylinders appear a little different from the originals , but the size appears to be the same , including the length. Even with a worn drum, which mine don't appear to be worn thin,the shoes should not expand enough to allow enough travel at the cylinders for the pistons to come out, right? I'm puzzled. Maybe I will get kits and rebuild the originals? What could I be doing wrong? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
papa

brake bleeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake bleeding   brake bleeding Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 9:33 am

Ok, now I know what happened, I think. The cylinders I first bought are wrong. Although they look the same externally , the depression in the pistons are deeper than they should be. That allows too much travel, letting the pistons push out of the cylinder. I think that I now have the correct cylinders. I will find out tonight.
Back to top Go down
papa

brake bleeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake bleeding   brake bleeding Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 10:32 pm

Finally, I have my brake job done. After installing the correct cylinders and another set of new riveted shoes I have good brakes. I don't believe the anti-lock system is working , but that's ok.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

brake bleeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake bleeding   brake bleeding Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 10:02 am

Yeah I found this out when I did brakes, not all of the wheel cylinders are the same on the b-bodies. I was lucky as the ones I bought were physically different looking and some quick research, found that there were options.....

took the old one with me to the store and made sure they matched Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

brake bleeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake bleeding   brake bleeding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

brake bleeding
Page 1 of 1