GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

in the snow

Go down 
+7
lakeffect
Steve Smith
dmg4
Deadmanonduty
MalibuSSwagon
Andebe
papa
11 posters
AuthorMessage
papa

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 10:03 am

I might get to drive my 91 Caprice wagon in the snow for the first time this weekend. I have brand new tires on the car. I'm anxious to see how it does. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 10:27 am

Look for the closest empty parking lot,and go nuts! affraid
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 11:18 am

Pretty excellent, even with all season tires I was impressed. I was actually worried that my 9C1 wouldn't do as well, but it's pretty good with snow tires on it, and the posi does help.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 1:38 pm

Wagons are absolutely GREAT in the snow.
My dad had a Roadmaster sedan and that car was useless in the snow.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 2:12 pm

My 1995 Caprice wagon and my 1996 RMW both had Blizzaks on all 4 wheels, and limited slip differentials. They were both very good in the snow. I would not say excellent, but living in Lake Effect land, I was never stuck and never in a skid in over 100,000 miles of winter driving between here and NH.

Both cars sucked in the snow with all-season tires. However, there is a huge variation in the performance of all season tires in snow. Having said that, I have yet to see a single all season tire that compares favorably with even the cheapest available snow tire when on all 4 wheels, and driven on snow. Some might roll OK on flat ground, but all the all-season tires I ever tried were downright dangerous in heavy wet snow, or panic stops.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 4:29 pm

We are expected to get 8-12 inches of that white crap this weekend in the Philly area. Both I and my Caprice are ready. With the 2.93 posi. and brand new BF Goodrich tires I say "bring it on!" She rides on aggressive 225/75 R 15 BF Goodrich Long Trail TA tour tires on all four corners. I'll report how she did come Sunday.
in the snow 100_3010
in the snow 100_3011

Last edited by Steve Smith on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 7:20 pm

Like Andy said... Find a parking lot.. I'll add... stay away from light poles
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 8:57 pm

Thats a pretty closed tread tire to expect a lot out of it in the snow.

If you want to see a snow tire, google Firestone Winterforce, hands down the gnarliest snow tire I found!
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 9:41 pm

"]Thats a pretty closed tread tire to expect a lot out of it in the snow.  

If you want to see a snow tire, google Firestone Winterforce, hands down the gnarliest snow tire I found!

The former owner of the Caprice gave me two of those tires to replace the miss-matched and dry rotted ones that were on the rear of the car when I bought it. They have a much more aggressive tread design than your basic TA Radial. The Long Trail TA(s) are not listed as "snow or Winter " tires, but based on their design and all season compound they should work damn good in snow and be a competent all year round tire.

I failed to find any "old school" square edged snow tires. I had some nice Hankook old school snows a couple years ago on my Roadmaster wagon and was very pleased with them.

Guess I'll find out soon enough if they get me through the (up to)12 inches of white crap or leave me wishing I'd stayed home.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 11:40 pm

I've driven a number of different cars with tread patterns similar to that shown on the Long Trail in the snow. Front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, with or without limited slip. Some "all-season" tires were better than others. Some were just about useless in any amount of snow. None of those approached the traction, cornering, or stopping ability of dedicated snow tires on all four wheels. I had a set of Yokohama all-season tires on a 1995 Caprice with limited slip, and from a dead stop on flat level ground the rear end would slide sideways and bang the curb 2 or three times before forging ahead in greasy wet snow. The tires wore like iron, and they were great on dry pavement, but they were the most useless I've ever seen in snow.

They say the Eskimos have over 100 words for snow. So do we in upstate NY: f-ing snow, f-ing wet snow, what-more-f-ing snow?, f-ing greasy snow, heart attack snow, white sh_t, f-ing white sh_t,.....
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 9:18 am

Ahh.. 'scuse me.. Not fer nuthin' but...

With two feet of snow and lots of ice headed your way, I doubt it's going to matter much as to what snow tire is there. Put in a 6" lift kit and rock climbing tires on it

Dave

to DMG4, you forgot "f'ing blizzard"
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 9:42 am

The Sipes, edges and super soft compound is the answer in snow and ice!
Back to top Go down
papa

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 11:55 am

in the snow 0122160945_zpsjzglojdv
Well, my wagon is in the snow. I probably won't drive it today and a few more inches of snow is forecast for tonight and tomorrow morning. I might drive it sometime tomorrow. I used the snowblower in the picture to clear my driveway and will do it again tomorrow after the snow has stopped. The blower is an Atlas vintage model that I restored and had never used until today. Actually, I had never used a snowblower at all until today. Beats a shovel.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 2:56 pm

That snow will melt in a week or 2 that far south!
When we get snow in December, it stays until April!
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 11:52 pm

They're old-school RWD vehicles in the snow. I'll say with the posi and okay tires mine handles the snow very well. It needs a bath, wagon got bumped to daily duty thanks to front suspension issues with the tall, shorter length 4x4 longroof.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 11:11 am

Getting HAMMERED here just north of Philly!! Stupid high snow drifts! Calling for up to two feet. Man, do I hate Winter! Gonna test my 10 hp. snow blower, although if the snow stays fluffy ,mouth on the blower is 2' wide and 20" high. Think it's a good day to watch some movies. Just bought FURIOUS7 and TERMINATOR GENISYS.
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Avoiding driving cause I don't need more rust starting from the salt on the road... also boxed in by four other cars.

in the snow 20160123_144058_zpsytrpjltd
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
Andebe

Andebe

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 3:33 pm

^^^Hardly recognized you.^^^ affraid
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 6:04 pm

they just said on news 17.7 inches of snow in philly so far and still snowing
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Deadmanonduty

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 8:59 pm

You guys are getting all the snow, and my Duramax is sitting in my garage with a 8.5 foot wide Boss V-Plow on it! lol
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 10:09 pm

steel-and-fire wrote:
Avoiding driving cause I don't need more rust starting from the salt on the road... also boxed in by four other cars.

in the snow 20160123_144058_zpsytrpjltd
A smart car and a Buick Electra wagon? I thought I had eclectic car taste!!
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 10:51 am

they say we got 24.4 in philly will have to post some pics. i was shoveling yesterday and this morning. all done biggest problem is where to put all the snow i. i live in the city with a little lawn out front it is now covered till spring lol
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Sponsored content

in the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: in the snow   in the snow Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

in the snow
Page 1 of 1