GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

shooting for a half million

Go down 
+5
stewzer55
Big Wagon Guy
funfunfer
Dutch Pete
papa
9 posters
AuthorMessage
papa

shooting for a half million Empty
PostSubject: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 7:35 am

I realized that my wagon could make a half million miles, God willing. The odo shows 227,000 now. With the fresh engine and transmission , and if they hold up for 200,000 plus it could happen. I don't know what all has been done , mechanically , to the car before I bought it. The only thing that I have done, aside from some cosmetic stuff, is clean and repack the front wheel bearings, replace front wheel seals , and replace the rear wheel cylinders and brake shoes. I plan to inspect and lube the suspension and u-joints next. I know that even with good maintenance unforeseen things happen but I intend to take care of it as best I can. Cool
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 12:55 pm

way to go....
Back to top Go down
funfunfer

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 1:30 pm

Curious. Are there any high mileage wagons in this forum?
My RMW (93) has 368,000. thhe new suspension should see it to 500k easily. Not so confident in the engine (no sign that the heads have ever been removed).
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 7:34 pm

My winter beater 94 Caprice Wagon has 405K miles on it and still running like a CHAMP! Original engine, never been opened up. New cap and rotor/wires on original Opti at around 240K miles. New/Used trans at about 250K miles...I'm confident that rust/rot will put her off the road long before the LT1 gives up.

Oil/filter has been changed every 5 to 6K miles since new. New AC compressor, springs, shocks, front/rear wheel bearings, rad and assorted other maintenance type stuff replaced over the years...oddly enough still has the original exhaust.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 11:59 pm

GM has been going with stainless for exhaust for a while now.
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 9:51 am

To the best of my knowledge stainless was used on all LT1 cars...however I would have expected the mufflers to have crapped out by now...oddly they have not. The car is a winter rat/rust bucket...yet the floors, body mounts and such are perfect. D pillars, front fenders not so much.
Back to top Go down
occ6.6

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 5:36 pm

I have a 92 rmw with 800, 000 + km on it (500000m) original mtr & trans& diff .did intake gaskets on it once 1 trans service diff has never been opened .it still has original ujoints , calipers, drums& rotors & 1original upper ball joint .body is sad but everything else is still good .you'll get your half mil no problem
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 6:10 pm

I'm over 280,000 miles right now and it is no big thing. Betty has over 119, Shadow over 66 and Goldie over 98 thousand miles. So what is the big deal, LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
funfunfer

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 9:15 pm

Bert Slater wrote:
I'm over 280,000 miles right now and it is no big thing. Betty has over 119, Shadow over 66 and Goldie over 98 thousand miles. So what is the big deal, LOL!!!

And I was married for 41 years (if I get to add them all together.) cheers
Back to top Go down
Wagon Sleigher

Wagon Sleigher

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 9:37 pm

Not a big deal but my 92 OCC has 188k. Rebuilt tranny at 177. Engine and diff completely original. She runs strong. I anticipate am by years of service from this sweety!
Back to top Go down
Wagon Sleigher

Wagon Sleigher

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 9:37 pm

*many years
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 10:58 am

my OCC had about 285K when I sold her. She just resold around 300K mi and the 5.0 needs rebuild. tranny was replaced around 180.

my 94 RMW sold to Cory with 222K on her, not sure where she's at now, but being driven frequently I believe. other than a new opti, wires, plugs, water pump, she's OE. (I replaced the OE hoses at 140K! and they were still good - put 9C1 Silicon on her)
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Chevy Caprice currently at 182k. Original engine and tranny, just did the head gaskets
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: shooting for a half million   shooting for a half million Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

shooting for a half million
Page 1 of 1