HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

to egr or not to egr

Go down 
AuthorMessage
papa

PostSubject: to egr or not to egr   Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:37 am

My 91 Caprice with a reman engine ( approx 12K on it) runs great now. I would like a little more gas mileage, though. The air filter is new as are the plug wires. The cap and rotor were replaced when the engine was swapped. The vacuum hose to the EGR valve was disconnected and plugged with a golf tee when I got the car. I suppose the valve is bad, but I guess I can reconnect the hose and find out. If the valve is good, or if I replace it would my mileage improve , with a working EGR in place? Question Question Question
Back to top Go down
papa

PostSubject: Re: to egr or not to egr   Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:05 am

I tried reconnecting the egr valve for the drive to work this morning. The engine surges at part throttle, so I disconnected it and put the plug back in the hose.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

PostSubject: Re: to egr or not to egr   Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:01 am

Sounds like it's gone bad. I would vacuum test it to make sure. If you replace it you might get a slight increase in MPG on highway. There's no in-expensive way to tune out the egr on the 91-93 model years.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: to egr or not to egr   Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:14 pm

Egr will improve your fuel mileage on an old tbi with the cam profile they run,..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: to egr or not to egr   

Back to top Go down

to egr or not to egr
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Engine-
Jump to: