GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate made a loud SNAP

Go down 
+2
Dutch Pete
steel-and-fire
6 posters
AuthorMessage
steel-and-fire

Tailgate made a loud SNAP Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate made a loud SNAP   Tailgate made a loud SNAP Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 10:22 am

I was trying to pull the tailgate latch downward and it was being stubborn. When I finally manage to get it to unlatch and level the tailgate, I decided to sit down on it. As soon as I did I heard a loud SNAP. My first heart dropping thought was "I just shattered the glass inside". Luckily, it wasn't the glass, it was the metal rods that hold the door. The rod that goes into the door, I can actually pull out. I won't bring the door down like a tailgate because the only thing holding it up would be the little wire, plus the door feels much heavier now.

What did I break?
Any ideas to fix it?
And how do you guys remove the door panel to get into the guts of the rear door? Its the older gen, but I figure it can't be much different.

Thanks.

Tailgate made a loud SNAP 20160317_225904_zps2ngspcjj

Tailgate made a loud SNAP 20160317_225915_zpsslgy2jsr
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate made a loud SNAP   Tailgate made a loud SNAP Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 11:08 am

That sure is strange. Never seen it. (but that's no guaranty) Pull the cover and go from there. Make sure the window is in the up position. Open it like the door.
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate made a loud SNAP   Tailgate made a loud SNAP Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 12:14 pm

Any tips for how to remove it? Just use a trim removal tool around the edges, or is there a trick to taking it off?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate made a loud SNAP   Tailgate made a loud SNAP Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 3:37 am

Trim removal tool and be sure that previous owners didn't do any mods like srews in hidden places (to keep the cover from falling of) Must be pretty straightforward. Let me know if you run into any troubles.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate made a loud SNAP   Tailgate made a loud SNAP Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 6:18 am

One of the springs that provide counterbalancing support during the lifting and lowering of the tailgate has broken and/or become detached.  You'll need to remove the plastic trim cover to investigate the cause and remedy the issue.  Remove the many screws across the top and sides of the cover, and then use the panel tool to "pop" the connectors that are holding the panel in place free of their sockets.  From the rust visible in the pictures, you might need to lubricate and free up the latches with penetrating oil and work them back and forth manually with pliers to get them working smoothly again. Check out this older thread: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t11960-tailgate-drops-but-will-not-swing-open
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate made a loud SNAP   Tailgate made a loud SNAP Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 7:42 am

Only work on the spring with the gate open in the door position. You will not load the spring that way, and it will be safe. There is a part of the spring inside the gate that probably broke off. It should be fairly long. You must remove the gate to replace it.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate made a loud SNAP   Tailgate made a loud SNAP Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 10:16 am

#tailgateslivesmatter
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate made a loud SNAP   Tailgate made a loud SNAP Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 10:14 am

Andebe wrote:
#tailgateslivesmatter

wtf????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate made a loud SNAP   Tailgate made a loud SNAP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgate made a loud SNAP
Page 1 of 1