GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil cooler function

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BuickRM

Oil cooler function Empty
PostSubject: Oil cooler function   Oil cooler function Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 7:21 am

Guys,
when I tried to seal my oil filter adapter assembly ( what should be finished tomorrow) I attempted to understand the function of the oil cooler. There is no oil thermostat at all which should control the oil flow through the cooler when oil temp. raises up. I can´t believe that the complete oil is going through the cooler even once it´s cold.
But theres a spring- loaded bypass valve beside within the adapter. Could it be possibel that the cold oil with the way higher pressure opens this bypass to go directly into the engine and bypassing the cooler? When the oil pressure drops with higher temperatures, the pressure is too low to open the valve and flows through the cooler. Hardly to imagine that the pressure losses through the lines and the cooler might be lower that the required pressure to open the bypassing valve....I don`t know. Does anyone know surely the function? Would be a strange solution to control the flow via pressure losses, but really smart.

Udo
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler function   Oil cooler function Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 8:58 am

BuickRM wrote:
Guys,
Would be a strange solution to control the flow via pressure losses, but really smart.

Udo

Americans eh? strange,... but smart.
Back to top Go down
BuickRM

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler function   Oil cooler function Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 9:25 am

...sorry, I´m German. Maybe the speech wasn´t right...I meant the solution seems odd, but works well anyway.
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler function   Oil cooler function Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 9:32 am

Two separate systems.

Oil cooler is full flow all the time, no thermostat used.

Bypass is there to allow for a clogged oil filter.

Should the filter become excessively restrictive, pressure relief feature will lift to continue to provide engine with oil (albeit now unfiltered).

Otherwise bypass should stay shut regardless of temperature (assuming no foot-to-the-floor starts @ -40 degrees).

- J
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler function   Oil cooler function Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 11:40 am

BuickRM wrote:
...sorry, I´m German. Maybe the speech wasn´t right...I meant the solution seems odd, but works well anyway.

No worries alter,. i,m canadian,.my speeches are never 'right'  What a Face

sorry,.I should have given you the right answer as jay did,.

It works even when its cold, because even tho it's direct flow,. oil will still find the path of least resistance,. which means the oil 'leaks' inside the engine will increase a little if the cooler flow is slower,.
Back to top Go down
paart

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler function   Oil cooler function Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 2:33 pm

There are two bypass valves in the adapter. One will open if the oil cooler lines become clogged or restricted. The other is the oil filter bypass valve which will divert flow from the filter, if it becomes clogged.
Back to top Go down
paart

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler function   Oil cooler function Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Pictures of the insides, and how to bypass the cooler lines. Scroll down a little.
(I hate to link to "that" forum, but that's where I once posted the photos.)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler function   Oil cooler function Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil cooler function
Page 1 of 1