GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Odd Pocket

Odd Pocket

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...) Empty
PostSubject: 1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...)   1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2016 10:37 pm

I posted this in the "Pics and Video", but I suppose it sort of belongs here, and I'd like some advice along the way if I may. I'll be driving it pretty often while trying to maintain and improve. Definitely a laundry list of needs, and some wants. I've been considering advice I read about having a good plan for a car, but I can't decide if this is THE one and I should work towards lofty goals, or just try to get it into good stock condition and eventually sell it to 'level-up'.

Just turned over 84,000 miles. 305 TBI, no tow package. It has some immediate issues: a rotten spare tire well, some rust by the rear doors, I think a vacuum leak (cruise doesn't stay on, and I hear a sucking noise)...and an occasional rough-ish shift at low speeds. (perhaps I'm just not acclimated to a mechanically controlled trans.?)

Some things I've already done are: sliced off all the dangly plastic trim stuff, modified steelies into some 9c1-lookin' wheels, lots of cleaning, lined the spare tire well with some rubber for now (with a drain hole), repaired the broken airbag wires (INF REST. light was always on), and replaced the rear window struts.

Should I just keep her running and stay stock?

Thanks in advance for your consideration, and any advice..

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...) Image1
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: 1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...)   1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2016 11:48 pm

Do like fred,. shove a porcupine motor in it,..
Back to top Go down
MG Davis

MG Davis

PostSubject: Re: 1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...)   1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 1:06 am

Hmmm, vacuum leak? That might explain why my cruise doesnt want to hold more than 65-70.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: 1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...)   1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 10:11 am

Only you can answer that question. Everyones mod tastes are different,although there do seem to be some common patterns. Exhaust,wheels tires, suspension, power. My recommendation,would be to make it safe first. Fix the stupid stuff,window rollers,etc. and then start looking at other wagons,and start to develop a taste for what you like and dont like. Do some research/ homework...only this is the fun kind. study What a Face
Back to top Go down
Odd Pocket

Odd Pocket

PostSubject: Re: 1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...)   1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 11:16 am

phantom 309 wrote:
Do like fred,. shove a porcupine motor in it,..

Smile first thing my father said, too... a little out of my league at this stage.

MG Davis wrote:
Hmmm, vacuum leak?  That might explain why my cruise doesnt want to hold more than 65-70.

I'm not totally sure on this, but I've been told vacuum controls the cruise on these, and coupled with that sound it seems fairly likely here.

Andebe wrote:
Only you can answer that question. Everyones mod tastes are different,although there do seem to be some common patterns. Exhaust,wheels tires, suspension, power. My recommendation,would be to make it safe first. Fix the stupid stuff,window rollers,etc. and then start looking at other wagons,and start to develop a taste for what you like and dont like. Do some research/ homework...only this is the fun kind. study What a Face

Recommendation noted and much appreciated. Got the window roller thing happening on the driver's window, and would be good to get the ABS working (failed to mention that earlier).

It's amazing, all the different style treatments these cars get. I love this forum for that...absolutely is the fun kind of homework!

Thanks for the replies and information! I hope to make it to wagonfest and possibly meet some of you fine folks...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...)   1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (not necessarily a "build"; daily driver...)
Page 1 of 1