GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LROM June 2010

Go down 
+5
convert2diesel
DBeaSSt
200OZ
jayoldschool
MacWoody
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MacWoody

LROM June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: LROM June 2010   LROM June 2010 Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 10:17 pm

My days as a wagon owner started almost a year ago at the beginning of WF09 and let me start by saying that by no means am I a car guy even though when I bought the wagon I was working for GM at the time on polymers used in their Fuel Cell Vehicle. (photo below) Here's my story on how I became a proud owner of a 1995 DCM Caprice Woody.

LROM June 2010 002

For decades now, I have been hanging with Jay (jayoldschool) and have been a first hand witness, co-pilot and wingman to many trips and adventures in all of his sleds and most of my car stories have an element of "hey Jay I've got this funny sound coming from my engine" or "hey Jay check out how I hooked up my new car stereo!" My first car belonged to my parents that they picked up as a second family car, a rust orange 1981 Toyota Tercel Hatchback. I drove the car like it was a Porche and fell in love with hand-break turns and reverse donuts in the winter. In the summer I would wash and clean the car every weekend and bought a stereo-cassette player for it but couldn't figure out how to keep the clock from not resetting every time I turned the car off. Without the help of a wiring harnesses, I did what any (ok not any) guy with no experience and 8 feet of electrical wire would do – I ran it out the drivers side window and under the hood and wired it straight into a live fuse, naturally. After pulling into the school parking lot and calling Jay over, he inspected my handy-work and looked at me with serious disapproval. Needless to say, we rewired it a few days later. To bad I was really excited that I could listen to the radio with the engine off and the key out.
The next car in the line up was the one my wife-to-be was driving when I met her. She happens to be Jay's cousin and was cruisin' in a sweet 1985 Chevrolet Chevette. (she named it Nester, don't ask me why.) I think back now that we were destined to be wagon owners because the 4-door Chevette hatch-back was really just a shortened wagon (well not quite!). We had some awesome road-trips and a few mishaps. I fondly remember one winter that it sat with a dead battery for 3 months in Jay's mother's driveway where we would just sit in it and smoke cigarettes because we couldn't smoke in the house…Nester saved us from serious frostbite during that long, nasty Canadian winter. When we finally had the money to get it back on the road, I cleaned out 57 empty packs of smokes from the back…terrible. Here's a pic of the Chevette, I forgot it had whitewalls. What a sweet mini-wagon.

LROM June 2010 Chevette

The first car I actually bought was probably the most popular car in Canada at the time, a brand new black 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, manual and was a great car for a long time. Affordable when I bought it as a student and dependable right up to the day I sold it, just 4 months ago! I realized after shopping for the wagon that an old used car that hasn't been rusted out is an amazing find and I'm done with purchasing new cars and throwing all that money away. Here's a picture of the Z24 the day before I sold her. Quebec wanted a ridiculous amount of money to pass the safety, but Ontario pretty much took it straight-up.

LROM June 2010 IMG_0124

My appreciation for the ability to keep sleds and big cars on the road has been around since the days of Jay's Blue Flame (81 Impala). Check his LROM write –up from just this past December 09. I've come to realize that with some T.L.C. these cars can last a long time, with the journey of finding and fixing being a big part of the fun.

So it was while I was an owner of a 1998 Z24 Cavalier and a 2003 Saturn Vue (wife's DD) that my search for a wagon began. The realization hit me after a vacation to the beach with Jay when I had just finished packing the Vue with tetris like skill, that he did not require any assistance packing his wagon despite the fact that he was taking home boogie boards, beach chairs, four tires, rims, luggage, and a tonne of outlet mall purchases. Unbelievable! That was it. I knew I had to have a wagon. As it happened, the search was relatively easy.

l began the hunt, looking at locals in Rochester and found a few and took them for test drives. But each was either too rusty, or too much work was needed. Then I was introduced to Ruphrax at the beginning of WF09. What a great guy. I was extremely lucky in that not only did he have a great wagon for sale, but he was close by. It was love at first sight. Buying the 1995 DCM Woody from Ruphrax was pretty much an easy decision. The wagon is in great shape with only 75,000 miles and absolutely clean on the inside. I drove it for a few months and tucked it away for the winter and its now registered and plated in Québec where I am currently living. It's my summertime daily driver and after the initial apprehension of driving it in Montréal (think Formula 1 with lots of potholes), I feel really safe in my metal tank surrounded by cars that are typically half the size.

LROM June 2010 IMG_0118

So that's my story. I look forward to all the maintenance work and planning : trim redo, possible tire/rim search, leather upgrade and then we'll look at some engine mods as the need arises. Thanks Ruphrax for the hook-up and look forward to future road trips to WF.
Cheers,
MacWoody
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

LROM June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM June 2010   LROM June 2010 Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 10:50 pm

I don't remember smoking in that Chevette. However, I don't remember much from that year...

It only took 20 years to get you in a good car!
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

LROM June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM June 2010   LROM June 2010 Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 11:20 pm

Another Red Sox fan... Agh. Any way, Nice wagon, I'm guessing you worked in Honeoye Falls with GM?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

LROM June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM June 2010   LROM June 2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 10:37 am

Nice story and a great wagon. DCM is one of my favorite colors too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
convert2diesel

LROM June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM June 2010   LROM June 2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 10:42 am

Good write up. Did you ever get around to making the daylight running lights permanent (or deleting them after getting the car licensed)? Enjoyed your visit that day.

If you want to revisit your past, and be environmentally responsible, theres a Chevette hatchback diesel running around here that looks to be in pretty good shape. Has a for sale sign on the window.

Keep up the good work. The wagon looks great.

Bill
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

LROM June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM June 2010   LROM June 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 10:30 am

Neat story! Beautiful wagon too...got any more pics? Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

LROM June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM June 2010   LROM June 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 7:24 pm

convert2diesel wrote:
Good write up. Did you ever get around to making the daylight running lights permanent (or deleting them after getting the car licensed)? Enjoyed your visit that day.

If you want to revisit your past, and be environmentally responsible, theres a Chevette hatchback diesel running around here that looks to be in pretty good shape. Has a for sale sign on the window.

Keep up the good work. The wagon looks great.

Bill

Ha ha my buddy had a Pontiac T1000 diesel (chevette with an Indian on it). I raced him with my 10speed bike and beat him the first 50 feet or so.....

Nice write up and look forward to seeing more pics of your wonderful car.
Back to top Go down
crazyboutwagons

crazyboutwagons

LROM June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM June 2010   LROM June 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 10:09 pm

great story welcome to the wagon nation hope to see wagon @ wf10
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

LROM June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM June 2010   LROM June 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Ha ha my buddy had a Pontiac T1000 diesel (chevette with an Indian on it). I raced him with my 10speed bike and beat him the first 50 feet or so.....

Nice write up and look forward to seeing more pics of your wonderful car.

If any car ever needed a six speed, these were the ones. Especially if you installed taller lower gears. Believe the Isuzu engines put out a screaming 58 HP. I have the three cylinder version in my 10 KW generator and it puts out 22 HP on a good day.

Bill
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

LROM June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM June 2010   LROM June 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 9:17 am

Hi MacWoody

That's a nice looking wagon. I didn't meet you but I remember Jay having to meet you at Fred's last year at WF when you came down to look at your wagon.

Have fun with it and see you at a WF.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LROM June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM June 2010   LROM June 2010 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LROM June 2010
Page 1 of 1