GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
voxkd

95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail Empty
PostSubject: 95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail   95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 11:06 am

Driving yesterday and turn signals stopped working, realized I also had no tail lights or brake lights. Checked fuses and found the 10amp fuse in position 43 was blown. Replaced it and it blew right away. Tried a 15A and it blew right away, so I stopped, and am stumped. Where should I look from this point? What may be causing this? THANKS.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: 95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail   95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 12:50 pm

When you have a dead short to ground, like you have, I would look for a bare or damaged wire.

Tom
Back to top Go down
voxkd

PostSubject: Re: 95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail   95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 1:11 pm

BINGO...HOLEY MOLEY....you saying that made me remember that I bottomed out the trailer hitch pulling out of a plaza. Just inspected the lighting harness, and sho enuff, it is crushed to crap and shorted out. Going to go rewire the light harness and put a new fuse in. THANK YOU.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail   95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 1:19 pm

Is the fuse blown with the turn signal switch in "off" position?

You have to check each component, looking for a short to ground. You can start at the beginning or the end. You need a wiring diagram. It can be found in the FSM or the back of the Haynes manual. It could even be a worn wire that is touching the metal of the body. Since it is common to the brake and turn signal circuits, look at those components first.

Just on a hunch, the turn signal switch assembly is the first place I would check/replace. Beyond that, disconnect each component starting with the furthest from the fuse and check for a ground at the fuse ground side. When you disconnect the failed part, the ground will disappear. Do not skip any of the components, or you may miss the faulty one. You can also start at the one closest to the fuse, and when the ground remains, it is the last one before the one you currently disconnected. The wires between the components should be ground checked checked as well, especially the wires in the column. You need a VOM to check the ground, or a ground fault light (light with a battery connected between the ground side of the fuse and the body). You could also use a light across the fuse, but it may burn up if the circuit is drawing too much amperage (I do not suggest this method). The fuse is an "always hot" fuse.
Back to top Go down
voxkd

PostSubject: Re: 95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail   95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Thanks! It was DEFINITELY the trailer hitch wiring harness. Just cleaned it up and all electricals are back to normal for now.
Back to top Go down
voxkd

PostSubject: Re: 95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail   95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 1:58 pm

95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail Img_9210
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: 95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail   95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 2:15 pm

I think you found your problem!

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail   95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 4:37 pm

There was no mention of a trailer harness in the original post. I would suspect something like that first, because they get a lot of wear and tear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail   95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

95 Roadmaster Estate blowing fuse for turn and tail
Page 1 of 1