GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

alternator question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
annapolis

alternator question  Empty
PostSubject: alternator question    alternator question  Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 2:30 pm

I have a 94 Wagon it has a 140 amp alternator. Was wondering what is the usual life of these, I do know conditions vary so it a is a semi silly question have 155k on it know it works fine at this time. Car has lived in south central Georgia and now way north in Florida so the A/C does get used as needed. I complete realize conditions vary and their is no lets say fixed answer to my question.
Just was wondering what others have learned along the way if I am on borrowed time already of may be ok for a while any input from the group would be appreciated. Need to save up and prepare and does any one have a suggested brand, or a darn sure do not use list. I usually only use AC Delco parts, some of the stuff out their is not worth a hoot as I am sure you all know.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: alternator question    alternator question  Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 3:43 pm

Alternators are very much like women,.

some will go a really long time and give you no aggravation,. others will quit at a most inopportune moment,.

still others will just slowly give up, till you change it,.

Don't try and fix something thats not broke,..
Back to top Go down
annapolis

PostSubject: alternator   alternator question  Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2016 12:47 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

some will go a really long time and give you no aggravation,. others will quit at a most inopportune moment,.

was not going to replace it it works fine, my question was are their brands to avoid, like with some fuel pumps pumps. Wanted to get a spare for my shelf for when the day comes. I live in an area that you do not get quality parts like I want same day, maybe junk sold by the big 3 parts places maybe not. I will not by some of that junk total waist of time and effort. just planing ahead and have the desire to get a spare would seems like it will not be long, may be several years, maybe not lots of thing for our wagons are getting harder to find at the drop of a hat. I try to be ahead of the game. My car is 4 times more reliable and predictable than any female other than dear old Mom
Back to top Go down
Big Jack

PostSubject: Re: alternator question    alternator question  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 11:11 pm

What is the charging voltage?
If I'm not mistaken, this is a larger version of the 10SI alternator.
Rebuilding them DIY is fairly straight forward, I last rebuilt one 10 years ago. I would think that any "new" alternator would be a remanufactured unit.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: alternator question    alternator question  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2016 5:49 am

After 155K miles and 22 years service, why would you not replace with an AC/Delco?

The remanufactured ones have new bearings, brushes, diodes, etc. The windings and housings almost never fail.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: alternator question    alternator question  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2016 10:59 am

phantom 309 wrote:

So poetic,you silver tongued devil... lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: alternator question    alternator question  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

alternator question
Page 1 of 1