HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 What year differentials fit?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GMjonn

avatar

Posts : 153
Join date : 2012-07-25
Age : 57
Location : Dacula Georgia

PostSubject: What year differentials fit?   Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:11 pm

Hey,
I'm thinking about going to some steeper gearing in my 94 RMW with tow pak, Thinking 3:23s as I'm not sure I want to go 3:42s as I do some pretty long interstate trips, But any way, my question is this, What year 10 bolt posi differentials will fit in our wagon rear axles?
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

avatar

Posts : 1487
Join date : 2010-04-24
Age : 49
Location : phila. pa

PostSubject: Re: What year differentials fit?   Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:25 pm

yor best bet is get a 323 posi from a 91 to 93 tbi wagon. if you are thinking of just swapping out a posi carrier from another 10 bolt make sure it has the correct spline count 30 ,most 10 bolts will be 28 spline.
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
phantom 309

avatar

Posts : 5712
Join date : 2008-12-28
Age : 108

PostSubject: Re: What year differentials fit?   Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:44 pm

2.93 to 3.23,. not much difference,.waste of money,.

i like to run 3:73's in my automatic cars,. and they still get better than 23mpg,. and so much nicer to drive,.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

avatar

Posts : 4581
Join date : 2009-11-13
Age : 69
Location : Largo, FL 33774

PostSubject: Re: What year differentials fit?   Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:53 am

If you are not going to swap the entire rear from a TBI car, just buy new gears, and put them in your housing. There is a pinion height setting tool available on Amazon to get the shims right the first time. Then all you have to do is set the lash, and preload on the ring gear. An aftermarket POSI is a better choice than the OEM one as well. While you are doing that, get a set of US made Moser axles instead of the crappy Chinese or Indian ones that are sold by everybody else. The cost difference is insignificant compared to the quality.
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

avatar

Posts : 153
Join date : 2012-07-25
Age : 57
Location : Dacula Georgia

PostSubject: Re: What year differentials fit?   Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:10 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
2.93 to 3.23,.  not much difference,.waste of money,.

i like to run 3:73's in my automatic cars,. and they still get better than 23mpg,. and so much nicer to drive,.

23MPG down hill or at slow speeds maybe but my last trip to NY i drove 913 miles in 14 hrs and 6 minutes, that's 65 MPH average including 2 fuel stops, 22.8 MPG average and I have the receipts to  prove it, Kinda hard to believe over 23 mpg with 3;73 gears in my real world experience

I should mention that's with a brand new opti, plugs wires, cleaned air filter, new fuel filter and low restriction exhaust, and tires inflated to 34 psi. ohh and I forgot to remove the roof racks

after playing around with numbers a 3.73 rear with the .78 OD in our trans gives you an effective rear ratio of 2.90 as vrs the 2.93 I have now, Now I know for sure driving around on the highway in drive with no OD at 2.93 ratio at 70MPH plus I would not be seeing 23+ MPG


Last edited by GMjonn on Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

avatar

Posts : 153
Join date : 2012-07-25
Age : 57
Location : Dacula Georgia

PostSubject: Re: What year differentials fit?   Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
If you are not going to swap the entire rear from a TBI car, just buy new gears, and put them in your housing. There is a pinion height setting tool available on Amazon to get the shims right the first time. Then all you have to do is set the lash, and preload on the ring gear. An aftermarket POSI is a better choice than the OEM one as well. While you are doing that, get a set of US made Moser axles instead of the crappy Chinese or Indian ones that are sold by everybody else. The cost difference is insignificant compared to the quality.

Thanks for the advice fred but I'm really not looking to turn a several hundred dollar job into a thousand dollar plus job, I have a line on a rear out of a 90 tbi caprice and was wondering if the gears would fit.
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

avatar

Posts : 153
Join date : 2012-07-25
Age : 57
Location : Dacula Georgia

PostSubject: Re: What year differentials fit?   Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:15 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
yor best bet is get a 323 posi from a 91 to 93 tbi wagon. if you are thinking of just swapping out a posi carrier from another 10 bolt make sure it has the correct spline count 30 ,most 10 bolts will be 28 spline.

That's the info I was looking for! cheers Thanks so much! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

avatar

Posts : 5712
Join date : 2008-12-28
Age : 108

PostSubject: Re: What year differentials fit?   Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:10 pm

GMjonn wrote:


23MPG down hill or at slow speeds maybe

but my last trip to NY i drove 913 miles in 14 hrs and 6 minutes, that's 65 MPH average including 2 fuel stops, 22.8 MPG average and I have the receipts to  prove it,

Kinda hard to believe over 23 mpg with 3;73 gears in my real world experience


after playing around with numbers a 3.73 rear with the .78 OD in our trans gives you an effective rear ratio of 2.90 as vrs the 2.93 I have now, Now I know for sure driving around on the highway in drive with no OD at 2.93 ratio at 70MPH plus I would not be seeing 23+ MPG

Kinda hard to believe the 65 mpg average in my real world experience,.which amounts to 40 yrs driving or more,.

Quote :
23 mpg downhill or at slow speeds,.

Thats tantamount to calling me a liar,. and that irks me tremendously,.

I DO have many years of experience driving LT1 vehicles,.the first was a 9c1 in 1999,.i still have that car, and it now has 3 73's,.i have driven every gear ratio from 2:56 down to 4:88's with automatics,.and ratio's from 2:93-4:88 with manual transmissions,.

i,ve built a few lt1's over the years, and put in a few rear ends gear sets and transmissions etc too,.

All my advice and experience is from the real world,. not the internet world,.

you need to also double check your information regarding the 4l60e overdrive ratio,.your info is erroneous,.
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

avatar

Posts : 153
Join date : 2012-07-25
Age : 57
Location : Dacula Georgia

PostSubject: Re: What year differentials fit?   Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:00 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
GMjonn wrote:


23MPG down hill or at slow speeds maybe

but my last trip to NY i drove 913 miles in 14 hrs and 6 minutes, that's 65 MPH average including 2 fuel stops, 22.8 MPG average and I have the receipts to  prove it,

Kinda hard to believe over 23 mpg with 3;73 gears in my real world experience


after playing around with numbers a 3.73 rear with the .78 OD in our trans gives you an effective rear ratio of 2.90 as vrs the 2.93 I have now, Now I know for sure driving around on the highway in drive with no OD at 2.93 ratio at 70MPH plus I would not be seeing 23+ MPG

Kinda hard to believe the 65 mpg average in my real world experience,.which amounts to 40 yrs driving or more,.

Quote :
23 mpg downhill or at slow speeds,.


welp believe what you want but I can tell you that we have done trips in the high 13hr range and it aint really how fast you go but how short you make your pits stops, and hour after hour after hour speeds in the 75+ range are easy when you drive all night, quick pits are actually easier with 2 people than 1 as one fills while the other emptys, then one emptys while the other moves the car away from the pumps and is all belted in and ready to drive, my last trip was solo, no co pilot hence longer pit stops.
I don't care how long you have been driving lt1s as I have also bought mine in 99 and there is no way over extended distances at the speeds we drive a 3:73 gear set at highway speeds is going to get 23 +MPG We go over the App Mtns through the Shenandoah valley then the mtns of WV and into the Lehigh valley in PA before hitting back the App mtns again in eastern Pa


Thats tantamount to calling me a liar,. and that irks me tremendously,.

I DO have many years of experience driving LT1 vehicles,.the first was a 9c1 in 1999,.i still have that car, and it now has 3 73's,.i have driven every gear ratio from 2:56 down to 4:88's with automatics,.and ratio's from 2:93-4:88 with manual transmissions,.

i,ve built a few lt1's over the years, and put in a few rear ends gear sets and transmissions etc too,.

All my advice and experience is from the real world,. not the internet world,.

you need to also double check your information regarding the 4l60e overdrive ratio,.your info is erroneous,.
Back to top Go down
dmg4

avatar

Posts : 628
Join date : 2014-08-13
Age : 63
Location : Geneva, New York

PostSubject: Re: What year differentials fit?   Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:14 am

Irony alert: Gentlemen, you are both communicating your real world experiences on the internet.

A problem can arise in an assumption that diverse experiences apply in all cases. Mileage in these cars can vary for mechanical reasons other than drive ratios, as well as driver habits. I am one of those drivers who likes to mash on the accelerator. Give me your 23 mpg car and I'll get 17 mpg on I-90 from coast to coast. My wife will set the cruise control and beat my average any day. I loath cruise control. You might as well let someone else drive. My 1995 Caprice with 3.23 ran beautifully and got 22 mpg through tuneups and mods. My 1996 Roadmaster with 2.93 also ran beautifully and got 17-19 mpg, and I never could consistently get better no matter what I changed. I just had Solomon K. tune the PCM on my latest (1996 Caprice, 2.93), and I replaced the 20 yr-old O2 sensors. We'll see what happens.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3868
Join date : 2009-08-18
Location : Rochester NY 14621

PostSubject: Re: What year differentials fit?   Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:55 am

I f someone is comparing mileage driving through the Appalachian Mountains to someone driving on the flats of Nebraska or Canadian plains or Onrario, I could see a world of difference in mileage.

Personally, I would not doubt what Nick says for a minute. because I've known him for several years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What year differentials fit?   

Back to top Go down
 
What year differentials fit?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» 4-Year-Old British Girl From Nottingham Killed By Car On Daytona Beach, Florida
» 50-Year-Old Woman Charged With Abducting 4-Year-Old Boy
» 11 year-old girl shot for playing too close to a car
» the real reaction 4 year olds have when they are left alone!!!! ( warning upsetting )
» Man charged with killing 4 year-old for wetting his pants.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Drivetrain and Towing-
Jump to: