GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.

Go down 
+7
Sprocket
phantom 309
Rev Bob
Andebe
TheRoadmasterKing
dmg4
Mark 96 Roady
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Empty
PostSubject: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2016 11:43 pm

As some of you who know me through Facebook know, I sold my Pittsburgh house last week. My wife Paula and I spend most of the year in Florida, and I have another house in suburban Cleveland which has now become our summer home. Anyway, we have been here a week today. Yesterday afternoon a wicked storm blew through here causing lots of havoc and damage. My Roady wagon got caught in the storm's crosshairs. Several tree limbs fell on the old girl, causing some damage, but not enough to total it. About a 4 hour dent on the right fender, a few bumps on the hood and left fender, broken windshield, and a few small dents on the roof. I have full coverage, so the repairs will only cost me my $100 deductible. The silver lining? Well my Sunshield windshield was starting to get a little milky at the edges, the hood and left fender are a little sun faded, and the repair will blend into the left front door, which someone re painted prior to my ownership, and it doesn't look very good. A few years ago my wife hit the retaining wall at the Pittsburgh house, so State Farm paid to re do the whole right side. Now it looks like they will take care of most of the rest of the car. When this is done only the bumper covers and tail gate will not be freshly painted. And, on a totally different subject, my Mustang convertible which I have spent the last 5 years painting and restoring was sitting 10 feet from the Roady and didn't get a scratch! Clean living guys, that's all I can say! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 6:01 am

I'd trade a Sungate windshield for tinted tempered glass in a heartbeat if given the chance.  Holding the EZPass out the window is getting old, and I've never had the external pass work reliably, irrespective of location.
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 8:23 am

As an Ohioan myself, I just have to say, you're the only person I know with a summer house HERE. Most of the time, people want to get out of here, not come back. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 9:10 am

TheRoadmasterKing wrote:
As an Ohioan myself, I just have to say, you're the only person I know with a summer house HERE. Most of the time, people want to get out of here, not come back. Laughing
Have you ever been to south Florida in the summer? From mid May to the beginning of October it's mid 90's and 70% humidity every single day, with no letup. At least up here we will get breaks in the summer weather. Plus, we both have family up north (my wife in Pittsburgh, me in Cleveland) so that is part of it too.
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 9:17 am

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
TheRoadmasterKing wrote:
Have you ever been to south Florida in the summer? From mid May to the beginning of October it's mid 90's and 70% humidity every single day, with no letup. At least up here we will get breaks in the summer weather. Plus, we both have family up north (my wife in Pittsburgh, me in Cleveland) so that is part of it too.
I was in Jacksonville Florida around this time three years ago and I remember it being really hot and humid back then. In Ohio, it can be 102 one day, and 7 feet of snow the next.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 9:54 am

Glad there was a happy ending. With luck like yours,you'd better play the Lotto! What a Face

Last edited by Andebe on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 10:48 am

"" I have full coverage, so the repairs will only cost me my $100 deductible.""

With what insurance company do you have coverage that won't total your car for this much damage?

Sorry. I see you said State Farm. Are they really not going to total your ride?
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 1:58 pm

""Holding the EZPass out the window is getting old""

Have you tried the stick-on EZ Pass with the embedded chip?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
A And, on a totally different subject, my Mustang convertible which I have spent the last 5 years painting and restoring was sitting 10 feet from the Roady and didn't get a scratch!

Not really,. just goes to show you even falling tree limbs avoid fords,.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Quote :
""Holding the EZPass out the window is getting old""

Have you tried the stick-on EZ Pass with the embedded chip?

I only have access to what the NYS Thruway Authority provides. Sungate glass has a metal film that prevents RF transponders from working. All external EZPass units I have tried are not reliable, irrespective of location. Holding the EZPass out the window works, at least until I get frustrated enough to take a hammer to the Sungate windshield.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 9:27 am

Bummer. The metal-filled windshield actually increases the range of the stick-on RFI tags. The older type transponder you are stuck with will work mounted to the back glass. Just avoid the defroster grid.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 12:18 pm

Quote :
The older type transponder you are stuck with will work mounted to the back glass. Just avoid the defroster grid.

The NY State Thruway Authority takes a dim view of backing through the toll booths. Readings are only taken on the approach towards the sensor in most of our archaic exits/entrances.

After you pay the salaries of the ticket monkeys in the booths, there isn't enough revenue left to modernize the RF hardware.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 2:32 pm

Pics of the carnage? Sorry to hear about the damage, but it sounds like it'll work out for ya in the end.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 12:52 am

I was in Cleveland on that day. It was pretty crummy weather.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 8:49 am

I actually like my Sungate, and FYI you can't get them anymore. At least not the original purple tinted one. I couldn't see how they could send you a ticket for avoiding the tolls when the picture of your car has the EZ pass clearly mounted to the front plate as the external ones are. There are many cars out there besides b-bodies that had factory installed Sungate windshields.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 10:18 am

Got the estimate today from State Farm. It was just under $2000, not counting the windshield of $200 or so. I'm getting the windshield installed right now at a Safelight office. I'm bummed about the Sungate since I spend most of the year in Florida. Oh well, the Sungate was starting to get milky, and at some point in the past someone had run the wipers to the point that it scratched the glass permanently. I'll get it fixed in the next few weeks. And, by the way, the $2000 estimate didn't come close to making the car a total loss.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 10:20 am

Sprocket wrote:
Pics of the carnage?   Sorry to hear about the damage, but it sounds like it'll work out for ya in the end.
I still never figured out how to post here. I was going to put it on my Facebook page once I was able to wash all the tree crap off of it so you can actually see the damage.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Lakewood is a pretty nice suburb, although its been since 2004 since I really spent any time up there, Medina being my unrecognizable to me hometown. Sorry to hear about the damage, but it sounds like all is well.

I wish there were replacement sungates available, mine's been repaired but it doesn't look right.

Dave, have you tried mounting the EZ-pass just behind the grill?
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2016 10:23 am

I'm a little tardy in posting this, but the storm damage has been fixed. There was a small dent in the roof, and instead of getting that fixed I used that money to refinish both bumper covers and repaint the fly aways. I also did the tail gate and left quarter. So, thanks to my wife (and State Farm) the right side was done on one loss, we paid out of pocket to re paint the whole roof (due to paint flaking off) another time, and now, finally, mother nature and State Farm have re painted the rest of the car! With the fresh paint and new white wall tires it literally looks like a new car. We get stopped almost daily and asked about it. Now if I can only convince my wife to keep it!
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2016 10:47 am

nice
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 10:34 am

What,no pics? No
Back to top Go down
Funkwagon455

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 11:02 am

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
Got the estimate today from State Farm. It was just under $2000, not counting the windshield of $200 or so. I'm getting the windshield installed right now at a Safelight office. I'm bummed about the Sungate since I spend most of the year in Florida. Oh well, the Sungate was starting to get milky, and at some point in the past someone had run the wipers to the point that it scratched the glass permanently. I'll get it fixed in the next few weeks. And, by the way, the $2000 estimate didn't come close to making the car a total loss.

I am interested in this question as well.. In the thirteen years of driving my '92 Custom Cruiser I had never had anything more than good liability insurance on the car. When it got smashed by a State Farm insured driver, State Farm indicated that the car was worth $1600 based on mileage regardless of general condition. Even if it had been my recently acquired 84000 mile Roadmaster, it still would have been worth less $3000 with no arguable grounds. Now that I have replaced the car, I would like to have it insured for something close to the realistic current market price that I've paid for it in the unfortunate event that it would happen again. I have accepted that as great as these cars are, the general public's perception is that they are worth slightly more than their weight in scrap steel and that accidents are just a hazard that we try to avoid in our lives. Suggestions? Experience?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.   Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio.
Page 1 of 1