GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stubeling wagon

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
200OZ
200OZ

Stubeling wagon Empty
PostSubject: Stubeling wagon   Stubeling wagon Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 12:22 pm

1994 Buick Roadmaster wagon. 265,000 miles. Fuel mileage has been lackluster since WFNY in July. Noticed a slight miss cruising at highway speeds now and then last week, Thursday, Friday. Saturday night it didn't want to start, just cranked for 10 seconds or so. then started, like it was flooded, then I smelled fuel once it was running. The next morning (Sunday) the same thing, but once on the highway is had a much more noticeable and consistent miss, or shudder. I drove it about 20 miles and parked it for 5 hours. Went to restart it, and another long crank, started, felt loaded up, and smelled fuel again. Took it home, and pulled the plugs, and checked the wires, grounds, wire connections for the dist., and the vent harness. No check engine light on, and everything looked good. buttoned it back together Sunday night.

Went to work Monday am, and did the same, but worse in every way. longer crank, more loaded up when it did start, fuel smell, and the miss has now turned into a stumble. 8 miles down the expressway it died. No restart, had it towed to the shop I work at. Still didn't start once at the shop, or again in the afternoon. That evening I checked fuel pressure... Okay, a little low at 35 psi, key on engine off. Checked spark... no spark at the coil, or #2, or #4 plug. I have 12 volts at the coil, so I swapped coils with a new AC Delco coil. It fired right up, and ran great... for 2 to 3 minutes, then it started stumbling again. I stared wondering about the low fuel pressure, It should be 41-47 psi, and I was seeing high 20's when it was running, 35 or so when pulling the vacuum from the regulator, so I took a work truck home that Monday night.

FF to Tuesday evening after work, I tested the fuel pump by disconnecting the return fuel line, and closing a valve I rigged up onto the fuel line. The fuel pressure immediately went to 65psi. So I was reasonably sure the pump was fine, and that the regulator was bad. I went out and picked up a new regulator from AutoZone, installed it, and saw no change in fuel pressure.  Argh... So, out of desperation I put on a new AC Delco ignition control module on it. It seemed to be okay... I ran the car for a good 30 minutes with no issues. Once I closed up the shop, and went to leave, though, there was a miss again. So I pulled it back into a parking spot, and left it at work again.

So.... Any ideas? Am I missing something stupid? There are no coolant leaks, and there are just minor engine oil leaks.

A little background on the wagon. It was tuned up about 6 years, and 50,000 miles ago with a new Delphi opti, AC plug wire, AC Iridium plugs, a new opti vent harness. 2 years ago I put in a new AC fuel pump, sending unit, and fuel filter.

And before any one asks, yes, it has plenty of fuel, the air filter is fine, and the nut behind the wheel was tightened.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Last edited by 200OZ on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

Stubeling wagon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stubeling wagon   Stubeling wagon Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 8:25 am

So this issue frustrated me for a few days now, and everything checked out okay. Fuel pressure is a little low, but not low enough to cause the issues it was having.

So, long story short, it was bad fuel.

Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Stubeling wagon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stubeling wagon   Stubeling wagon Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 10:00 am

Fresh tank,fixed it?
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

Stubeling wagon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stubeling wagon   Stubeling wagon Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 3:51 pm

Yeah, kinda. There was just over a 1/4 tank, I added 6 gallons, and the problems just about went away. I then filled it on my way home, and it got even better. Keep it simple people...
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

Stubeling wagon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stubeling wagon   Stubeling wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2016 8:31 am

Update.... It wasn't bad gas, the problem came back a few days later. Then it would clear up mostly for a week or so, then back to stumbling. I decided that with almost 70,000 miles on the plugs and wires that I'd replace 'em. After pulling the opti, and loosing up the a/c compressor I found that the rear a/c bracket was cracked, and had loosened up. The bracket was pinching the #6, and #8 plug wire a bit and shorting out the spark. I replaced just those two wires with known good ones, re loomed all the wires, and re sealed the opti, and replaced the rear a/c bracket. My BRMW has been good to go for 4 weeks now. What a pain in the neck that was.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Stubeling wagon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stubeling wagon   Stubeling wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2016 12:40 pm

glad you resolved that hairy issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stubeling wagon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stubeling wagon   Stubeling wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stubeling wagon
Page 1 of 1