GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse

Go down 
+3
stewzer55
Krzdimond
Sprocket
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse Empty
PostSubject: Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse   Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 8:27 pm

So lately the FW shifts into reverse fine and will roll back on level ground ok. Kinda feels like a brake shoe dragging, but give it some gas on an incline I reverse and it won't go. Rpm will increase but makes like a grindy noise.

I put it up in the rear and turned the wheels with it in neutral. Neither rear wheel seems to drag (not enough light to pull the wheels). Checked the difference and it took a couple ounces but not much.

I did notice the front u joint has a zero fitting you can't get to without dropping the drives haft and when I turn the drives haft by hand it does make a metal on metal whine ever so slightly.

Any transmission gurus got some advice?

Shifts in gear all proper like and forward gears are fine...
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse   Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 8:39 pm

reverse band is gone. This is EXACTLY what happened with my van at WFFL. Full rebuild fixed it.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse   Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 9:15 pm

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable excuse to beef up the transmission...
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse   Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 9:25 pm

ugh, with the AC having sprung a leak and the clear coat starting to go and the vinyl top done.....
it may be time to pass her on....I've only put 16K on her too, damn
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse   Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 10:05 am

Pausing for a moment of silence,as you ponder on her passing. Cue sad music... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse   Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 11:31 am

When problems arise with transmissions, unfortunately the outcome is never good, or cheap. I know from experience.

Tom
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse   Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 4:59 pm

Lol...you might not be able to sell this one for more than I sold it to you for! Will be a first for you! Hate the trans is going...damn...that really sucks.

You could part it out and get more $$ that way I bet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse   Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2016 5:20 pm

brokecello wrote:
Lol...you might not be able to sell this one for more than I sold it to you for!   Will be a first for you!  Hate the trans is going...damn...that really sucks.  

You could part it out and get more $$ that way I bet.  

I have a lead on a $200 96 trans, but not sure I even want to bother with that as I don't have time for ANOTHER project right now and I DO have 4 other driving cars besides the caddy (and a wagon needing love)...

I'm in negotiations for an adoption on it...staying in the 'fam' .
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse   Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2016 11:46 pm

I know way more about body and paint than mechanical stuff, but isn't a trans swap in these cars supposed to be "easy"? I thought I'd read on here people doing this in their driveway? Or, on Tim's lift? For me I'd hate to see a nice car go, especially if you have a good used trans lined up for two bills. Either way, sucks. Last year I had to do a rear end rebuild on the Roady wagon while in Florida. Never any fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse   Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Uh Oh, FW making noises in Reverse
Page 1 of 1