GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lifting body off frame

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Jack

Lifting body off frame  Empty
PostSubject: Lifting body off frame    Lifting body off frame  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi guys,
I'm going to be installing new body - frame bushings over the winter and need to lift the body off of the frame. I did this on an 80's Monte Carlo years ago.
This being such a heavy car, what is the best way to lift/support the body?
As far as tools go, I've got a floor jack, a bottle jack, the spare tire jack and a chain fall hoist (though I doubt lifting from above is even an option).
Any pointers/tips on less than obvious things to disconnect would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Lifting body off frame  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifting body off frame    Lifting body off frame  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 10:24 pm

If you do one side at a time, you do not lose your alignment. Loosen both sides, and lift one side...replace the bushings, then lift the other side. I would think that driving the car onto 4 ramps (cheap) and lifting the body with a jack and a 4X4 lengthwise under most of the length (shimmed to go around the trans cross member), it would support the body without bending anything. If you only lift the body enough to slip the bushings in place, you may not have to disconnect anything.

Remember to do the ones under the core support.
Back to top Go down

Lifting body off frame
Page 1 of 1