GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Leaky nylon fuel line

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HoosierDaddy

Leaky nylon fuel line Empty
PostSubject: Leaky nylon fuel line   Leaky nylon fuel line Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2016 7:10 pm

I've got a leaking fuel line that I need to address but I need some schooling first on nylon lines. It's leaking out of the driver side frame rail just behind the front wheel. It looks like it's leaking where the line goes thru the frame rail just ahead of the transmission crossmember. Is the line repairable with a splice? Would I be better off finding a new (used) line?
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy

PostSubject: Re: Leaky nylon fuel line   Leaky nylon fuel line Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2016 9:50 pm

OK. The leak is right over the crossmember mount to the frame. Looks like the factory routed it weird there and it crosses a steel (brake?) line and rubbed a spot. Dorman makes a patch kit with barbed fittings but you have to heat the cut line ends in hot water for 10 minutes. They also make shark bite type unions. If I use two of those and a short piece of line I won't have to drop the crossmember. Anyone know if those fittings are reliable?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Leaky nylon fuel line   Leaky nylon fuel line Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2016 10:34 pm

They work great. I did not have to heat the lines. I spliced an 18 inch section in a 3/8 inch line. I modified my fuel system, and use it as a return line. I do not know if they make a set for the smaller stock return line. The connectors have teeth that grip the line, and an O-ring to seal the lines. Make sure the lines are clean. If the line is straight at that point, you may even be able to cut the line, and just put one connector on it to make the line whole again. The connector would keep the lines separate, and not rub through at the same spot.
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy

PostSubject: Re: Leaky nylon fuel line   Leaky nylon fuel line Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 3:19 pm

Just wanted to update that the unions I used sealed properly the first time and have been fine for a few weeks new.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaky nylon fuel line   Leaky nylon fuel line Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leaky nylon fuel line
Page 1 of 1