HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Rear bumper cover question for my Roady wagon.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Rear bumper cover question for my Roady wagon.   Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:45 pm

Does anyone know if you need to take out the tail lights to get the rear bumper cover off? And, I assume the chrome corner trim can still stay attached to the cover as it comes off? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear bumper cover question for my Roady wagon.   Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:07 am

The chrome cover attaches to a support that is popriveted to the body behind the cover, so you must take the chrome parts off before you can remove the bumper cover. You must remove the tail lights to disengage the chrome part fasteners from the popriveted supports (the tangs on the pins will probably break if they are not already broken). When reassembling, you can probably use a tight O-ring to keep the chrome fasteners in place if the tangs are broken. An alternate reattachment method is to make a hole where the pin is, and use a tree fastener through the hole.

There are two nuts on each side that hold a plate over the mounting surface of the cover. You will also find 5(?) fasteners on the bottom of the cover, as well as the top, and maybe a couple of screws in the corners of the gate opening.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Rear bumper cover question for my Roady wagon.   Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:14 am

Does removing the tail lights allow you enough room to press in the tangs on the pins so they don't break? Looking from under the car it looks like the tangs are still in place. Thanks Fred.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear bumper cover question for my Roady wagon.   Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Removing the tail lights is the only access to the fasteners. The tangs are extremely brittle. I have yet to pull a set of stainless corners without breaking the tangs. You may find that they catch the bumper cover after passing through the bracket. You must push both sides at the same time, and to do so usually causes the plastic to crack. Warming them might make them more flexible, but could also reshape them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear bumper cover question for my Roady wagon.   

Back to top Go down

Rear bumper cover question for my Roady wagon.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1