HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Best LO5 Engine Swap

Go down 
AuthorMessage
r67northern

PostSubject: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi All, I'm not going to do this right away but I'm thinking that when it's time, since there's nothing to replace a wagon with, I'll probably do an engine swap. It got me thinking about the best swap for a TBI. Is there any limitation because of the large distributor hole that's at the back of the current intake? I suppose any potential replacement intake could be machined, or the original just re-used perhaps.

It's not time yet, I just toy with these ideas sometimes. Thanks
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Roller 350, Vortec heads with better springs and rockers, LT1 (or bigger) cam, 9C1 injectors, headers, custom PROM. Or, LSX for way more power/reliability/mileage. The old engines just can't compete with modern tech.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:41 pm

I'm going to be that guy too. LS swap. Best thing I did to my C10.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:27 am

Put a big LS engine in it, minimum of a 6.0L. If you are going to make it better, make it the best. You can probably get away with the computer from the donor without mods to run it. Splicing the harness is not all that difficult. You only have to splice in about 5-6 things, get proper power to the computer, and a good ground. I used the original harness, found the required wires, and cut the rest. The engine wiring is all in the engine harness, you just need to interface the two harnesses. The coil on plug makes it easy to access the ignition system. You need the trans from the engine donor car, or you need to have a 4L60E built. If you are going to use a 4L60E, you can have it built to the HP you are going to make. The 4L60E will fit the car better than a 4L80E, so you do not have to have a drive shaft made, or do tunnel work.

I put a BBC in my OCC, and it was a chore. It makes good power though. It is also a conversation piece. With port fuel injection, on the BBC, my gas mileage should be comparable with any modern engine of the same displacement, HP rating, and according to driving habits. Modern engines do not have an advantage in gas mileage for a given displacement, HP, and induction system. Head design may make a difference, but with aftermarket heads, that advantage is lost. The coil on plug ignition systems are a lot easier to access, especially with the cowl overhang. You can convert the older engines to coil on plug, and negate that advantage as well.

If you can find a set, the 93 Fleetwood cooling fans are a bolt in for the LO5 cars. It makes electric fans an easy install. A bigger radiator may be more difficult to find, but they are available. You can start accumulating parts now for the install later.
Back to top Go down
r67northern

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:30 pm

I've thought about the LS swap, don't know if I'm capable of that level of re-do. Although there's probably not that much more involved compared to going with a vortec setup. I'm sure both need their own special problem solving to make work.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:27 pm

There aren't many issues installing an LS engine. Someone makes a plug and play harness for under $300. The mount adapters are about $50, and there are instructions on ISSF for any quirks.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:42 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
There aren't many issues installing an LS engine. Someone makes a plug and play harness for under $300. The mount adapters are about $50, and there are instructions on ISSF for any quirks.

Plus a transmission, new exhaust, accessory drive, PCM tuning... Gets real expensive real quick.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:39 pm

You can have your trans upgraded, get the accessory drive with the engine from the junk yard, and if you are using the engine stock, you can use the PCM and wiring harness that is on the engine. You can even grab the trans that is hooked to the engine, if you want that type trans. A 4L60E will bolt up, and use the PCM to control it. There may be a few tweaks necessary for gear ratios, tire size, and shift points if you do not use the trans that the engine it came with.

You do need either the manifolds the engine has, or a sset of headers. A small adapter pipe should connect the old exhaust to the engine. You can do this on a budget if you really want the swap, and are on limited funds.

I put a completely rebuilt bored out BBC in my OCC, and the total cost including a rebuilt upgraded trans, new (bought from individual cheap) Holley MPFI system, new headers and exhaust, aluminum water pump, aluminum heads, and new oil pan/pump for under $9K.

I can get a used 6.0 LQ4 with a trans, wiring harness, trans, computer and FEAD for under $1000, if I pull it at the local junk yard. I can get the engine from one vehicle, and a 4L60e from another. By using all of the original parts, I can put the engine in a car and have it running for another $1000-1500. So, for under $2500 I can have a running driving car with an LQ4 in it. If I want to upgrade anything, I can, but at additional expense, but that is a choice. You can do it on a budget if you want to.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:29 pm

I tell people I did my Ls swap for under a grand, they don't believe me. I parted a truck to get my 5.3L, and ended up making $200 outta the deal. Plenty of rotted out Silverados up here in the rust belt. Turned out the engine had new water pump, alternator, starter and tune up done, but that was just luck. Reused as much as possible from the donor truck, I already had sweet dual exhaust on the truck so I made adapter pipes to connect it to the manifolds on the LS. Hot tip for that, the Silverado y pipe is nice mandrel bent 2.5" stainless. Thanks GM.

I still spent about $800 to get it in the truck. However alot of people who complain about the costs of their swap spiraling out of control, usually had issues before starting the swap. Like their radiator is old and junky. Rear end worn out, etc etc. Plus most people get sucked into the mentality of "ohh you need all these shiny expensive aftermarket parts or car won't be cool/fast" FALSE. Stop reading all the magazine builds, those guys have huge budgets and sponsor contracts to fulfill on top of that. Using OEM application parts is a path to success and longevity.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:46 pm

BTW, stay away from 2000 and under LS series engines. They are supposed to have some issues.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:55 pm

Like? I'm running a 2000 5.3L.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:52 pm

Be careful with it. Read up on the issues, so you know what to look for.
Back to top Go down
occ6.6

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:38 pm

why not put a buick 350 or 455 in it you can use the tbi injection still,use a adapter plate for the trans .find a computer controlled v6 dist swap in a v8 dist shaft with the advance plate locked out & a v8 pick up coil & you will have a factory looking f.i. dist .use a 454 truck tbi on the 455 tune the ecm with tuner pro & have a buick powered buick. im putting a olds 403 & 4l80e in my 92 occ ,even adapted the front accessory drive from the chev to the olds motor to make it look more like a factory install.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:20 am

You might be able to put the original distributor on the Olds engine by boring out the hole in the manifold to accept the distributor base. I did that to my 454, and am running the original LO5 style distributor.
Back to top Go down
occ6.6

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:37 am

olds distributors go into the block not through intake. they have a short housing.ive used the dist from 307s with c4 carb set up works perfectly , done it about a dozen times.My fleet is the occ ,71 cutlass with a 496 olds & custom made by me 4 barrel tbi with a 4l80 all run by a gm ecm also have a 85 lesabre collectors edition with 307 converted to tbi & my wifes 89 caprice broughm with a 4 barrel tbi injected 455 olds & 4l80 -soon to be port injected & pro charged
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:29 pm

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
I tell people I did my Ls swap for under a grand, they don't believe me. I parted a truck to get my 5.3L, and ended up making $200 outta the deal. Plenty of rotted out Silverados up here in the rust belt. Turned out the engine had new water pump, alternator, starter and tune up done, but that was just luck. Reused as much as possible from the donor truck, I already had sweet dual exhaust on the truck so I made adapter pipes to connect it to the manifolds on the LS. Hot tip for that, the Silverado y pipe is nice mandrel bent 2.5" stainless. Thanks GM.

I still spent about $800 to get it in the truck. However alot of people who complain about the costs of their swap spiraling out of control, usually had issues before starting the swap. Like their radiator is old and junky. Rear end worn out, etc etc. Plus most people get sucked into the mentality of "ohh you need all these shiny expensive aftermarket parts or car won't be cool/fast" FALSE. Stop reading all the magazine builds, those guys have huge budgets and sponsor contracts to fulfill on top of that. Using OEM application parts is a path to success and longevity.

The part out a truck plan is great. If you have the space, time, and patience to do that. Id wager a lot of guys don't.
Back to top Go down
r67northern

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:31 pm

occ6.6 wrote:
olds distributors go into the block not through intake.

I had never known that - went and searched out some images, that's a nice way to do it.  I wonder why Chevy didn't do that?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:23 pm

3rd the LS swap. I did a 5.3l swap on my OCC and love it. On paper there's not much more power than the LT1 but ask anyone who's driven it and it puts a smile on their face.
KDS makes direct bolt in motor mounts, you can reuse your existing 700r4 trans if you wish but I went with a 96 4l60e out of a Caprice. You will need to modify the flex plate and need an adapter if you go either route. A truck 4l60e will bolt up.
Truck accessories are used with minor mods.
You'll need an F-body oil pan and ls1/ls6 intake
Wiring is a pain if you want it to look nice. PCM will need to be tuned to get rid of passkey, also needed to get the gear ratio right, and other stuff deleted like emissions and 4wd stuff
Here's my thread on my build:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:31 pm

I've personally been thinking about "freshening up" my L05, Vortec heads, Camshaft, Exhaust work and maybe a FiTech EFI and crab cap distributor. I've also been tossing around the idea of an iron 6.0 with a 4L60e with many of the same mods done that I have done to my DD Trailblazer. What would bug me the most is figuring out what tuning software/hardware I would need if I had a stock ECM or weather or not to build a Megasquirt setup like some guys have done. The special distributor these cars got seems to be the biggest hangup for me at least.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best LO5 Engine Swap   

Back to top Go down

Best LO5 Engine Swap
Page 1 of 1