GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Did my headliner replacement

Go down 
+6
Andebe
81X11
Fred Kiehl
silverfox103
Rev Bob
Chevy freak '91
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

Did my headliner replacement Empty
PostSubject: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2016 3:40 am

It's a common problem, the sagging headliners. So, I've tried it to do it for the first time and I must say, it's a very intensive job. It took me and my youngest son a day. But the end result is very neat, I think.
Let me know what you guys think.

Did my headliner replacement Img_9110
Did my headliner replacement Img_9113
Did my headliner replacement Img_9111
Did my headliner replacement Img_9112
Did my headliner replacement Img_9114
Did my headliner replacement Img_9116
Did my headliner replacement Img_9115
Did my headliner replacement Img_9117
Did my headliner replacement Img_9118
Did my headliner replacement Img_9120
Did my headliner replacement Img_9119
Did my headliner replacement Img_9121
Did my headliner replacement Img_9122
Did my headliner replacement Img_9123
Did my headliner replacement Img_9124
Did my headliner replacement Img_9125
Did my headliner replacement Img_9126

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2016 6:31 am

Kudos to you both. Well done.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2016 6:42 am

Good to see a father and son project! Nice job.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2016 8:02 am

Looks good. The hardest, most time consuming part is getting the old foam off. How much contact cement did you use? Did you spray it, or brush it on?

There is a guy locally who will do headliners for about $75.

The Chevy headliners are a lot easier than the RM and OCCs. The base usually breaks at the vista window opening. I reinforced a Caprice headliner along the back sides of where the RM OCC vista window opening is with carbon fiber (I just happen to have a bolt of it laying around, but you can use fiberglass), filled the hole for the light, and cut the opening for the window. It was easier than trying to patch together an original headliner from an RM or OCC, and get it straight.
Back to top Go down
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks guys. I used a special glue in a spray can that professional companies use. It can resist high temperatures, like it can handle almost 250 F.
The hardest part of the job was indeed scraping off the old foam.
And everything had to come off, all the plastic trim, seatbelt bolts, sun visors etc. I think it cost me around $250 in materials. And it's priceless to do jobs like this with your kids.

Last edited by Chevy freak '91 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2016 9:39 am

Nice Work! Hey a tip for the Oldsmobile and Chevy wagon owners that do this. Go hit the salvage yard first and get some headliner grab handles from a Roadmaster Sedan or Wagon, or a Caddy Fleetwood. Easy mod to add these while doing you headliner and looks great too.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2016 10:35 am

Very professional,nice job.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2016 10:45 am

You can loosen the C pillars, and get the headliner out without removing the whole C pillar. Just protect the new one going in, because the C pillar ends have some sharp ends that can catch the headliner material, and tear it.

Be careful with the rear trim. The "screws" are just locks for the actual fasteners, that have to be released by sliding a blade or screw driver under the trim. The locks are easy to break, and impossible to get. Once you have the trim off, do not pry on the rearmost tree fastener against the headliner. The foam crushes, and is not repairable. Use a pivot off of the headliner, and just put your tool under the top of the fastener.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2016 5:26 pm

Very clean job, I agree with Texas Mike that the Roadie or Fleetwood grab handles would be a nice addition, I'd suggest an overhead console too if you wanted to add it and get more interior lighting too. I imagine the Caprice dome is a major improvement over the OCC/RMW lighting.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2016 6:45 pm

nice job. Really ties the car together.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2016 8:51 am

Sweet! Looks like you had perfect weather too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks guys, and good weather indeed. That was last summer. Now we're in a typical Dutch winter; cold and wet but unfortunately nog snow or ice.
Back to top Go down
Eds rmw

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Very nice job !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did my headliner replacement   Did my headliner replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did my headliner replacement
Page 1 of 1